Delta and Coca-Cola Axe Controversial ‘Plane Crush’ Napkins
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Step aside, “New Coke.” Coca-Cola has a new shockingly bad ad campaign to top the list.
Passengers aboard Delta Air Lines flights were unpleasantly surprised to come upon some suggestive napkins as a part of a new promotion. “Because you’re on a plane with interesting people and hey … you never know” was written on one side of the Diet Coke napkins. The other side featured a spot for passengers to write their name and phone number with the suggestion to “be a little old school.” Hmm.
Traveler’s responses, generally, were not favorable on social media.
“These napkins are creepy AF. Pretty sure no one appreciated unsolicited phone numbers in the ‘good old days’ and they sure as heck don’t want the number of someone who has been gawking at them on a plane for hours today. Not a good look,” tweeted @ducksauz.
“Swing and a miss,” tweeted @MJJoe.
Others think that the napkins are funny and romantic— and that people are being “too sensitive.”
However, even though some believe that the napkins are harmless, they carry a message that could contribute to the larger (and by larger, we mean huge) issue of sexual harassment on airplanes.
Reports from the Federal Bureau of Investigation confirmed that inflight sexual misconduct reports have been on an upward trend over the past four years. According to assistant Special Agent Brian Nadeau, these incidents can range from inappropriate touching to far more invasive actions — and they’re not easy to report, either.
“If you’re a victim of a crime on the ground, what do you do?” said airline consumer group Flyers Rights president Paul Hudson to the Washington Post. “You call 911 and report it to a police officer. But if you’re in an airplane, you can’t do that. You have to report through a flight attendant, and they have to report it to the captain, and the captain has to report it to a ground supervisor for the airline… In many cases, too much time has passed.”
Delta and Coke have since apologized for the misguided campaign and pulled the ‘Plane Crush’ napkins from flights. “We rotate Coke products regularly on our aircraft as part of our brand partnership, but missed the mark with this one,” said Delta in a statement to TPG. “We are sorry for that and began removing the napkins from our aircraft in January.”
Coke said: “We sincerely apologize to anyone we may have offended. We worked with our partners at Delta to begin removing the napkins last month and are replacing them with other designs.”
USA Today reported that, for now, the napkins will be replaced by “standard” Diet Coke-branded napkins.
Featured image by Dong Wenjie via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees