Delta 757 Halts Takeoff From San Francisco as Smoke Pours out of Engine (Video)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A redeye flight is reason enough to cringe, but couple that with smoke billowing out of one of the engines and you’ve found ideal conditions for a facepalm. For a reporter and photojournalist trying to get home to Detroit after covering the Lions’ stinging loss to the San Francisco 49ers, you’d have to assume such an event further salts the wound.
Delta 1658, a daily redeye flight between San Francisco (SFO) and Detroit (DTW), began to take off as it usually does from The City by the Bay. Takeoff was suspended, however, when passengers and crew realized that either a cousin of Karl The Fog had taken up residence inside a Boeing 757 engine, or something was amiss. As smoke poured out of one of the engines, the plane was halted and the onboard filming began. Jennifer Hammond, a sports reporter onboard, shared the footage below. (To clarify further, Delta’s initial statement on the incident called the aircraft a 767, but we have since confirmed with Delta that it was in error – the aircraft in question, as well as the replacement used to get passengers to Detroit, were both 757 aircraft.)
Following the mishap, Delta managed to get everyone off and onto a different aircraft in a shockingly efficient manner. Per FlightAware data, the second try departed San Francisco at 12:39am PT on September 17, 2018, and landed at 7:40am ET in Detroit.
The carrier released the following statement: “The crew of Delta flight 1658 from San Francisco to Detroit elected to suspend the takeoff out of an abundance of caution due to an indication of an issue with one of the Boeing 767’s [sic] engines. The aircraft returned to the terminal where customers have been accommodated on an alternate aircraft, which is expected to redepart shortly. The safety of Delta’s customers and crew is always our top priority and Delta maintenance technicians are evaluating the original aircraft.”
H/T: Fox 2 Detroit
Featured image of a Delta 757 parked at San Francisco (SFO) by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees