Deal Alert: US to Bali Flights on Sale From $473 Round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Boasting the bluest water imaginable, beautiful flora, diverse wildlife and untouched beaches, it’s no wonder Bali is a destination on many traveler’s bucket lists. Another allure of the Indonesian island is its remoteness. But because Bali is so remote, flights are typically hard to find and outrageously expensive. However, that’s not the case at the moment with fares starting at just $473 round-trip.
Denpasar (DPS) is the main gateway to Bali. Though Denpasar sees more than 23 million passengers annually, you cannot fly direct from the United States. Typically, flights will involve anywhere from one to three stops and cost you $850 to $1000. However, we’re seeing fares at almost half that rate throughout the months of April and May, with multiple Chinese airlines offering flights from select major US cities at a steep discount.
Also, to make sure you don’t miss out on what the country has to offer, check out Get Your Guide’s list of best activities throughout Bali and other popular Indonesian destinations.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: China Southern Airlines, Hong Kong Airlines, Xiamen Airlines
Routes: LAX/SFO/JFK to DPS
Cost: $473+ round-trip (w/ taxes and fees)
Travel Dates: April – May 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige Card (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Francisco (SFO) to Denpasar, Bali (DPS) for $473 round-trip on China Southern:
Additional dates with cheap fares from San Francisco (SFO):
Los Angeles (LAX) to Denpasar, Bali (DPS) for $490 round-trip on Xiamen Airlines:
Additional dates for cheap fares from Los Angeles (LAX):
New York (JFK) to Denpasar (DPS) for $573 round-trip on China Southern Airlines
Additional dates for cheap fares from New York (JFK):
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Francisco Goncalves/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.