Deal alert: Acela tickets drop to lowest ever, starting at $20 one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year.
It’s become apparent during the coronavirus pandemic that, aside from safety precautions, a significant portion of convincing travelers to head on the road will be cheap deals.
Amtrak is celebrating 20 years of its popular Acela service, the all-business and first-class train that travels up and down the Northeast Corridor. Acela changed the game after it first entered service in December 2000, and to celebrate two decades, Amtrak is launching fares on the Acela line starting at $20 one-way or $40 round-trip.
We’ve seen Acela deals before, even during the pandemic, but this appears to be the lowest we’ve seen so far.
Here a few examples of what you can book:
New York, NY to Washington, D.C. for $20 one-way:
Philadelphia, PA to New York, NY for $20 one-way:
Baltimore, MD to Providence, RI for $20 one-way:
Washington, D.C. to Boston, MA for $40 round-trip:
You must book from now through Thursday Nov. 12, and travel must occur between Nov. 16 and Dec. 17, 2020. There are several restrictions, such as upgrades not being allowed. There are several blackout days as well, including Nov. 24 and 25 and Nov. 28 to 30. The $20 fares are not available for travel on Fridays and Sundays.
This deal is also only valid for cash tickets on Amtrak’s Acela; that is, you won’t be able to use your Guest Rewards points.
If you decide to hop on the promotion, make sure you pay for the tickets with a travel rewards card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which are both among the best cards for general travel purchases.
You might also consider applying for one of Amtrak’s two cobranded credit cards issued by Bank of America. The Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard® and no-annual-fee Amtrak Guest Rewards® Platinum Mastercard® both offer 20,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days of account opening. TPG values Amtrak points at 2.5 cents each, making each of these bonuses worth $500.
As TPG reported earlier this year, Amtrak has been testing the new high-speed train cars, with service tentatively set for sometime in 2021. The new interiors feature sanitary improvements as a nod to the coronavirus pandemic and can hold 378 passengers. The new trains will include touch-less bathrooms, more space between customers, and no-touch overhead bins.
The information for the Amtrak Guest Rewards and Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Amtrak also instituted enhanced cleaning procedures and mandated masks for current service. As I reported over the summer, the rail company announced that it can “remove customers or ban them” from future travel if passengers don’t comply.
Featured photo by Brendan Dorsey / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees