This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Remember when $591 round-trip used to be a good deal to Hawaii? Nowadays it seems that the “new normal” for flights to Hawaii is in the $300s from the West Coast. But, today we are seeing flights to the Hawaiian destinations of Honolulu (HNL), Maui (OGG), Kauaʻi (LIH) and Kona (KOA) as cheap as $277 round-trip.
But this deal isn’t just limited to the West Coast. There’s great deals from many parts of the mainland U.S. to the 50th state for under $400 round-trip.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: Hawaiian, American Airlines, Delta, United
Routes: OAK/SJC/SMF/SFO/ABQ/ATL/DTW/MSP/SLC/LAS to LIH/KOA/OGG/HNL
Cost: $277+ round-trip in economy (typically basic economy)
Travel Dates: September 2019 to May 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier℠ Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Oakland (OAK) to Lihue (LIH) for $277 round-trip nonstop on Hawaiian:
San Jose (SJC) to Lihue (LIH) for $278 round-trip one-stop on Hawaiian:
Oakland (OAK) to Kona (KOA) for $278 round-trip one-stop on Hawaiian:
Oakland (OAK) to Kahului (OGG) for $295 round-trip one-stop in American Airlines (not basic economy):
Sacramento (SMF) to Honolulu (HNL) for $303 round-trip one-stop in Delta basic economy:
San Francisco (SFO) to Lihue (LIH) for $320 round-trip one-stop on Hawaiian:
San Francisco (SFO) to Lihue (LIH) for $327 round-trip nonstop in United basic economy:
Albuquerque (ABQ) to Kahului (OGG) for $355 round-trip one-stop in United basic economy:
Atlanta (ATL) to Kahului (OGG) for $355 round-trip one-stop in United basic economy:
Detroit (DTW) to Honolulu (HNL) for $355 round-trip one-stop in United basic economy:
Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) to Honolulu (HNL) for $355 round-trip one-stop in United basic economy:
Salt Lake City (SLC) to Kahului (OGG) for $355 round-trip one-stop in United basic economy:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Honolulu (HNL) for $355 round-trip in American Airlines (not basic economy):
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by M Swiet Productions/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees