Deal alert: Book a private room on Amtrak, bring a buddy for free
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year.
If you’ve been looking for alternative ways to travel this summer, Amtrak is offering a buy-one get-one deal on private rooms: Book an Amtrak Roomette, bring a companion for free.
Roomettes are Amtrak’s smallest private rooms, and are ideal for up to two travelers. Designed to simulate the fancy train travel days of yore, Roomette perks and amenities include:
- Complimentary lounge access
- Priority boarding
- Complimentary meals for each ticket-holder
- Fresh linens and towels
- Comfortable seats that convert into a bed (the top bunk folds down from the wall)
- Personal valet service from a dedicated car attendant, including bed turn-down and coffee delivery
- Electrical outlet
- Climate-controlled temperature
- Individual reading lights
- Garment rack
- Soap and shower amenities
- Bottled water
Travelers who book Superliner Roomettes will have access to restrooms and showers in the same train car, while Viewliner Roomettes have sink and toilet located within the room with showers nearby in the same train car.
Concerned about maintaining safe social distances while on the go? Booking your own private travel space will go a long way toward that maintaining that goal, as does Amtrak’s newly refreshed app with up-to-date travel details. Amtrak has also implemented a number of protocols to keep travelers and employees safe as well:
- All travelers and employees must wear face masks on board trains and thruway buses, although masks can be removed within private rooms.
- Amtrak deep cleans and sanitizes all trains prior to service, with additional en-route cleaning to disinfect restrooms and frequently touched surfaces.
- Bookings have been limited on most trains to allow for more physical distancing in seating areas.
- All Amtrak trains are equipped with onboard filtration systems with a fresh air exchange rate every 4-5 minutes.
- All non-safety materials have been removed from seatback pockets.
- Sinks are available in each car’s restroom for frequent handwashing.
- To move between cars, customers can use an “automatic door open” button with their foot.
- When the train is approaching a destination, conductors will make announcements regarding where and when customers can disembark to minimize door crowding.
The buy-one, get-one sale lasts through July 17 and is available on all Amtrak routes that offer roomettes, with the exception of Auto Trains. Valid travel dates fall between July 13 and September 30, 2020, and trips must be booked at least three days in advance. All adults and traveling companions must travel together on the same route, under the same reservation. Full rules can be found on the promotion page under “terms and conditions.”
Use the Amtrak Fare Finder to book online, or use code V306 while booking through the Amtrak app.
All photos courtesy of Amtrak.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.