Deal Alert: 2-in-1 Flights to Asia Starting at $639, Business Class Starting at $2,609
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Saving money on round-trip tickets is great, but saving money on 2-in-1 deals is even better. We’re seeing excellent availability on multi-city bookings out of cities like Los Angeles (LAX), Newark (EWR) and Chicago (ORD) to two cities in Asia, starting at just $639 round-trip in the fall. You’ll need to play around with cities and dates to get the best deals, but we were able to find cities such as Bangkok (BKK), Kuala Lumpur (KUL) and Jakarta (CGK). The New York to Tokyo to Bangkok deal was first reported by Secret Flying.
We also found a great business class deal from Chicago to Beijing and then Bangkok starting at just $2,609. All legs are in Hainan’s business class which, as TPG’s Javi Rodriguez noted recently, has a reputation for great service and is a solid business class product.
There may be deals to cities that aren’t listed below, so you can play around with Google Flights’ explore tool to see what’s available.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: ANA, Hainan, EVA Air
Routes: JFK/LAX/SFO/ORD to BKK/KUL/PEK/NRT/HND/CGK/TPE/SGN/EWR
Cost: $639+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September – November
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Tokyo (NRT) to Bangkok (BKK) for $639 round-trip on ANA via United:
San Francisco (SFO) to Tokyo (NRT) to Bangkok (BKK) for $655 round-trip on ANA via United:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Tokyo (HND) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $682 round-trip on ANA via United:
Chicago (ORD) to Tokyo (NRT) to Bangkok (BKK) for $703 round-trip on ANA via United:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Taipei (TPE) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $746 round-trip on EVA Air:
Chicago (ORD) to Beijing (PEK) to Bangkok (BKK) for $2,609 round-trip on Hainan in Business Class:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees