Tourist Falls to His Death Taking a Selfie in California
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this summer, I had an opportunity to spend some time at Yosemite National Park, just before devastating wildfires closed off much of the area.
Like many other visitors each and every day, I hiked up toward Nevada Fall, but ultimately decided to call it quits after reaching Vernal Fall, some 1,000 feet up. The path up can be especially treacherous, but that didn’t prevent tourists from stopping for photos many times along the way — myself included.
Everyone I saw that day made it safely back down, but that isn’t always the case — it’s not unheard of for visitors to slip and fall, especially if they aren’t paying attention. Sadly, that’s exactly what happened to Israeli tourist Tomer Frankfurter, who according to The Times of Israel, was in the middle of a two-month US trip when he fell 820 feet to his death.
According to the 18-year-old’s mother and authorities, Frankfurter had been attempting to capture a selfie when he slipped. Tourists often break the law or take big risks to capture the perfect pic — recently, more than 40 people were arrested after entering a restricted area to get up close and personal with Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano.
While it’s easy to become overwhelming excited when faced with “Instagrammable” scenery, no photo is worth risking your life. Always make sure you’re in a safe place before taking that priceless pic.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees