Operations Return to Normal at DCA After an Airport-Wide Power Outage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers were left in the dark Wednesday night at Reagan National Airport (DCA) — literally. However, power has since been restored as of Thursday after the airport-wide outage left terminals completely dark and lasted more than an hour on Wednesday night. Airport officials said it stemmed from an issue with Dominion Energy.
Power outage at @Reagan_Airport; only minimal lighting, no displays. I asked flight staff if this happens sometimes; they said they’ve never seen anything like it. #ReaganAirport #PowerOutage pic.twitter.com/mVZ6eIL1bQ
— Samuel Breslow (@sdkb42) August 16, 2018
— Samuel Breslow (@sdkb42) August 16, 2018
The electricity just went out at Reagan National Airport and folks are wandering around trying to find their stranded bags on the stalled luggage belt by phone light. Infrastructure week? pic.twitter.com/iMUAV3ufiy
— Heather Timmons (@HeathaT) August 16, 2018
Generator backup power is providing lighting to several areas of the terminal. Updates to follow. (10:35pm) pic.twitter.com/SjdBsUxGfu
— Reagan Airport (@Reagan_Airport) August 16, 2018
According to a tweet from David Botkins, a Dominion Energy spokesman, the nearly 90-minute power outage likely resulted from an underground equipment failure. The outage caused some flight delays but with the help of generators, planes were able to takeoff and land. Andrew Trull, a Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority spokesman, told NBC Washington that passengers used air stairs and some airport workers hand-delivered baggage. As of Thursday morning, power was officially returned to DCA and operations returned to normal.
Featured photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees