DC-Bound Flight Makes Emergency Landing Due to Smoke in Cockpit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Air Canada flight was forced to make an emergency landing Sunday night at Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) after pilots noticed smoke in the cockpit.
Air Canada Flight 7618 from Toronto (YYZ) to Washington’s Reagan National Airport (DCA) had almost reached its destination when the pilots noticed smoke, reports CBC. The Embraer E-175 — registration C-FUJA — diverted to nearby IAD, where it was met by emergency responder crews upon landing. The aircraft was evacuated, and no injuries of the flight’s 63 passengers or four crew members have been reported.
“We smelled a slight burning odor, but there was no smoke or fire in the cabin,” Passenger David Brown told CBC. “Passengers were calm and quiet after the flight attendants said we would be making an emergency landing and went through procedures.” Another passenger said there was smoke coming out of the vent above his seat, and there was a “little bit of a haze closer to the cockpit.”
Brown said the smoke started around 6:00pm, and it took about 15 minutes to land the plane after the smoke was detected.
— David Brown (@davidb22307) March 25, 2018
The cause of the smoke is still unknown, but CBC says the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority is investigating the incident.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees