Daytona Airport Shut Down After False Bomb Threat From Naked Man
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A bomb scare at Daytona Beach International Airport (DAB) forced more than 200 passengers to evacuate the facility Friday morning.
The man who made the false bomb threat was arrested by the local police department, officials said.
Authorities said the incident began when the man, John Greenwood, entered the airport at about 6:00am on Friday. At that time he was clothed and carrying a bag. Then he entered a women’s restroom that was under construction, where he stashed his bag in a hole he made in the bathroom wall’s sheetrock, disrobed and exited the restroom in the nude.
Greenwood then tried to exit the airport terminal on a baggage carousel, but airport authorities Tasered and arrested him. As he was being taken into custody, police officers say Greenwood yelled “We gotta get out of here, I planted a bomb in the bathroom.”
When airport officials searched the bathroom’s wall, they found the bag Greenwood had hidden there, and they evacuated all passengers. They also called in the police department and bomb squad, who did two sweeps of the airport and confirmed that there was no bomb in the bag or anywhere else in the airport.
John Greenwood entered @FlyDAB restroom, made hole in a wall, inserted a backpack. Came out naked, climbed onto baggage carousel, where deputies took him into custody. He claimed a bomb was about to go off. Airport cleared by Bomb Units/K-9. Full story at https://t.co/BDVOYTjxpE pic.twitter.com/li0shp5gWl
— Volusia Co. Sheriff (@VolusiaSheriff) May 11, 2018
Volusia Sheriff Mike Chitwood said in a press conference after the event that Greenwood was “well known” to local authorities and has been arrested several times for other offenses. Authorities also took Greenwood to a local hospital.
Chitwood said that the suspect would face several charges, including federal charges.
The airport is back open, and airlines are rescheduling flights for any passengers affected by the disruption.
H/T: Fox News
Featured image by AP Photo/Reed Saxon.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees