Data on 5 Million Credit Cards Stolen at Saks, Lord & Taylor
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hackers stole data from more than five million credit cards at two major stores in what is described as one of the largest attacks ever on a retailer.
Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue and Saks OFF 5th were hit by a cyber attack, Hudson’s Bay Company, the owner of the two stores, confirmed.
The company said that it does not believe the breach affects its digital platforms Hudson’s Bay, Home Outfitters, or HBC Europe.
“HBC has identified the issue, and has taken steps to contain it,” Hudson’s Bay Company said in a press release. “Once the Company has more clarity around the facts, it will notify customers quickly and will offer those impacted free identity protection services, including credit and web monitoring.”
Cyber security firm Gemini Advisory who is working with HBC wrote that credit card information might have been compromised from May 2017 through the present. It also noted that 125,000 records have been released for sale on the dark web, and that it expects the rest to be available over the coming months.
“Based on the analysis of the available data, the entire network of Lord & Taylor and 83 Saks Fifth Avenue locations have been compromised,” Gemini Advisory wrote. “The majority of stolen credit cards were obtained from New York and New Jersey locations.”
The hack was completed by JokerStash and announced by the syndicate on March 28. JokerStash has successfully hacked Whole Foods, Chipotle, Omni Hotels & Resorts and more. Gemini added that the “attack is amongst the biggest and most damaging to ever hit retail companies.”
HBC encourages customers to review their account statements and contact their card issuers immediately if they identify activity or transactions they do not recognize.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees