Dark Windows in the Airport Make You Spend More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The darker the window, the more money airport passengers will spend.
That’s the conclusion of a test at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) that installed “smart glass” at one of its gates. The technology allows the airport to adjust the opacity of the gate’s massive windows to temper sun exposure, leaving the gate darker, cooler and more comfortable for passengers waiting to catch a flight.
When the gate is shaded by the electrochromatic glass, it increases the time that passengers linger in the terminal’s bars and restaurants — what experts call “dwell time.” Longer dwell time means passengers spend more money. At one bar in the DFW test, alcohol sales jumped 80% last October, compared to sales a year earlier. The smart glass installation was the only change.
The test was conducted by a design professor at Cornell University, and it found that surface temperatures on seats and carpets near the smart glass were 10 to 15 degrees cooler than before. Overall dwell time at the cooler gate increased by 53%, compared to a gate with regular windows, and overall spending increased, too.
“We definitely see the impact,” Casey Norton, a DFW Airport spokesman, told Bloomberg. The restaurant guessed that with the sun beating through the window, “it was too damn hot,” and it might have been causing slow sales, he said.
The smart glass and DFW was installed by View, a Silicon Valley-based company that specializes in electrochromatic glass. Bloomberg compares the technology to the smart windows on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner that feature a button to lower or raise opacity.
Food and beverage spending is the fastest-growing part of airports’ concession business, according to the Airports Council International — North America. At a time when ride-hailing apps are cutting into airports’ parking profits, which traditionally make up about 40% of airport revenues in North America, airports are looking to increase profits anyway they can.
San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is investing $3 million in View’s smart glass product for its remodel of Terminal 1, and DFW will be taking bids to install 500,000 square feet of dynamic glass windows in its gates and concession areas.
Featured image by View.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees