Czech Republic is open to Americans, with just 1 requirement
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Czech Republic started welcoming U.S. citizens back this week, increasing the European travel possibilities for Americans this summer.
Foreign Minister Jakub Kulhanek announced the addition of the United States to its “green countries” list via Twitter on June 21, which means Americans can resume travel to the country sans a negative COVID-19 test or quarantine thanks to the Czech Republic’s use of the traffic light system, which allows tourists from low-risk nations to bypass the otherwise required testing.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
However, literally entering the country is about all you will be able to do without additional documentation. COVID-19-related requirements still remain for Americans and fellow visitors with low-risk entry status hoping to experience the country as tourists. In order to enjoy activities such as staying at a hotel, eating at restaurants, visiting museums and attending public events, you must show one of the following:
- Negative PCR test taken within the past 72 hours.
- Negative antigen test from the past 24 hours.
- For single-dose vaccines, such as Johnson & Johnson, proof that 14 days have elapsed after the dose within the last nine months.
- For double-dose vaccines, such as Moderna and Pfizer, proof that 22 days have elapsed after the first dose within the last 90 days, or proof that 22 days have elapsed after the second dose within the last nine months.
- And finally, if you have recovered from COVID-19 within six months of travel, proof of such is required.
“We’ve been waiting for this for so long,” Michaela Claudino, director of Czech Tourism USA & Canada, said in a statement regarding the reopening. “We hope that tourists can take the time to see the famous sights, but also get to know some of the Czech Republic’s hidden gems. One look at the incredible architecture, culture, food, drinks, and fun will make your trip worth the extra effort.”
As previously reported, the Czech Republic was one of seven early users of EU Digital COVID Certificates, formerly known as “green passports.” Although Americans are still not allowed to use them, the certificates allow EU travelers to digitally store and access the aforementioned requirements.
Additionally, be sure to pack designated respirator masks — most commonly known in the U.S. as KN95 or N95, both of which filter up to 95% of air particles per the CDC — as these are necessary to engage in most public spaces, including shops, airports and public transportation (including taxis and ride-sharing services). If you are outside and social distancing is not possible, also be prepared to don a mask.
Unlike other EU countries, the Netherlands for example, travelers from “dark red countries,” considered to be at an “extreme risk of COVID-19 infection,” are still able to enter or return to the Czech Republic after undergoing an RT-PCR test before arrival, two tests after arrival and a period of self-isolation.
Featured image of Old Town Square in Prague, Czech Republic by kps1664/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees