Your Credit Score Might Jump This Week Due to New Reporting Rules
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some consumers might see their credit scores jump this week, thanks to new scoring rules from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau that go into effect Monday.
The new scoring techniques mean that the three major credit reporting bureaus — Experian, TransUnion and Equifax — will now exclude tax liens from all credit reports. About 11% of consumers will see a tax lien removed from their information and have their scores positively affected, according to a prediction from LexisNexis Risk Solutions, with as much as a 30-point bump in their scores possible.
Other industry experts say the positive effects will be more limited. The Consumer Data Industry Association predicts “only modest credit scoring impacts.”
In July 2017, the three credit bureaus deleted all civil judgement information and about half of tax lien data from US credit reports, which also caused a bump in some credit scores. Monday, the remaining 50% of tax lien data will be factored out of consumers’ scores.
The changes in credit reporting standards follow a study last year by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau that found the three major credit reporting bureaus did not conduct reasonable investigations when consumers disputed something in their reports and laid out more accurate guidelines for the bureaus’ use of public records.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees