This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some consumers might see their credit scores jump this week, thanks to new scoring rules from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau that go into effect Monday.
The new scoring techniques mean that the three major credit reporting bureaus — Experian, TransUnion and Equifax — will now exclude tax liens from all credit reports. About 11% of consumers will see a tax lien removed from their information and have their scores positively affected, according to a prediction from LexisNexis Risk Solutions, with as much as a 30-point bump in their scores possible.
Other industry experts say the positive effects will be more limited. The Consumer Data Industry Association predicts “only modest credit scoring impacts.”
In July 2017, the three credit bureaus deleted all civil judgement information and about half of tax lien data from US credit reports, which also caused a bump in some credit scores. Monday, the remaining 50% of tax lien data will be factored out of consumers’ scores.
The changes in credit reporting standards follow a study last year by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau that found the three major credit reporting bureaus did not conduct reasonable investigations when consumers disputed something in their reports and laid out more accurate guidelines for the bureaus’ use of public records.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees