What this health expert wants you to know about COVID-19 booster shots
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The delta variant, first discovered in India, is quickly becoming the world’s dominant strain and has been traced to a worrying surge in positive cases around the globe. In recent days, vaccination and mask mandates have been strengthened in places like New York and Los Angeles County.
The highly transmissible delta variant has people wondering: “Will I need a COVID-19 booster shot?”
But health professionals say while more data is needed to determine whether a booster shot might be needed, the COVID-19 vaccines are effective against preventing serious illness or death.
To find out more about whether a COVID-19 booster shot might be needed in the future, TPG spoke with Dr. Jenny Yu, the senior manager of medical integrity at Healthline Media (which is owned by TPG’s parent company, Red Ventures), through email.
This interview has been edited for clarity.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
There’s been discussion about a possible COVID-19 booster shot. What is a booster shot, and what other vaccines use boosters?
Boosters are either the same or smaller dosage of the original vaccines to re-stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies. Chickenpox, MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) are other vaccine examples that have boosters as well.
Pfizer said its COVID-19 vaccine becomes somewhat less effective over time and suggested that a booster shot may be needed in the future. Do scientists and infectious disease experts agree?
Yes, current studies are underway to understand the longevity of the initial vaccines.
Even without a booster shot, how effective are the coronavirus vaccines against serious illness and death?
The mRNA technology vaccines are highly effective against the more transmissible delta variant in terms of preventing serious illness and death. U.K. data for Pfizer is 96% and Canadian data for Moderna is 96%.
Would a COVID-19 vaccine booster shot protect against the highly transmissible delta variant?
That still needs to be determined. Most who have had the 2-shot series are not going to require hospitalization or have severe disease, logically, a booster shot would help with the longevity of the immunity.
Will people be able to get a booster shot that’s different from the original vaccine they received?
[That is] unknown as of now, and would require further studies and research.
Featured photo by ArtistGNDphotography/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees