European court rules Ryanair’s fees go too far
A Spanish court ruled on Wednesday that low-cost carrier Ryanair‘s policy of charging added fees for hand luggage was “abusive”. The court ruling, which stemmed from a passenger complaint, said that the fee could no longer be charged in Spain.
The case involved a passenger travelling from Madrid to Brussels who was forced to pay a €20 (£17) fine when she brought her 10kg carry-on bag on board. However, Ryanair’s cabin baggage policy only includes bags that fit beneath the seat in front to be brought on board without an added charge.
The Spanish Commercial Court ruled that the woman was to be refunded, along with interest, but rejected her demand for compensation of a further €10 for suffering. The judge said the woman’s bag could have fit in the cabin, ruling Ryanair to remove the policy from its terms and conditions.
However, even after the court’s decision, the BBC reports that the airline doesn’t plan to change its policy.
“This ruling will not affect Ryanair’s baggage policy, either in the past or in the future, as it is an isolated case that misinterpreted our commercial freedom to determine the size of our cabin luggage”, the airline said in a statement.
The court said in a statement that its ruling can’t be appealed.
Featured photo by JOSE JORDAN/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.