This French Cottage Is Made From 100% Real Chocolate — and People are Staying in It
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How much chocolate is too much chocolate? Well, if anyone out there knows, it might just be the guests who’ve booked their stay at Booking.com’s new “Chocolate Cottage.”
The cottage is made almost entirely of chocolate. The walls, the décor and the furniture (though, thankfully not the bed) were all constructed and designed by master chocolatier Jean-Luc Decluzeau.
“I never thought I’d have the opportunity to build a life-size chocolate cottage for travelers to sleep in!” said Decluzeau to The Mirror. “I’m excited to collaborate with Booking.com and to share my passion for chocolate. I hope guests will relish the chance to experience such a sweet and unique place to stay.”
Guests can also participate in a workshop led by the chocolatier, making miniature chocolate cottages for themselves.
The 18-square-meter Chocolate Cottage is located inside the L’Orangerie Ephémère, a glass house in the gardens of the Cité de la Céramique in Sèvres, France. This keeps all 1.5 tonnes of chocolate at the right temperature to avoid any changes in texture while also keeping out any bugs or animals. Guests are not permitted to snack on the actual edifice or furniture of the house to ensure that everything remains in optimal condition (and there are no half-eaten chunks of wall to let in an unfriendly draft). However, according to Booking.com, “lots of chocolate snacks will be provided.”
The cottage is located just outside of Paris — about four miles from the Eiffel Tower. It contains one bedroom cottage but can accommodate up to four guests, offering one double bed and two singles, but no bathroom. For that, there is a toilet available nearby. Along with the chocolatier workshop, complimentary dinner and breakfast are provided by Booking.com.
The Chocolate Cottage took its first bookings since its opening on September 11, 2018. The special accommodation opened to guests for only three select nights, September 19 and 26 or October 5 and 6, 2018, but have already sold out. However, we recommend that you keep tabs on the special accommodation, as new dates can always open up. For more information on booking a stay, visit the posting for The Chocolate Cottage on Booking.com.
Featured image by Booking.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.