Colorado Springs Airport Closed Following Overnight Fire
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Colorado Springs Airport (COS) will remain closed on Tuesday for all commercial departures and arrivals following a fire on the roof of the main terminal, which was extinguished early Tuesday morning.
The three-alarm fire broke out around 11:30pm Monday on the roof of the main terminal. It took firefighters about an hour to get the fire out, but crews are still in the process of assessing the smoke, water and fire damage. For Tuesday, the airport will remain closed.
Photos from inside the terminal show some debris on the ground, but don’t appear to be too severe. However, airport Spokeswoman Aidan Ryan told KOAA that the damage done by the three-alarm fire is extensive, with much of the damage caused by water.
However, as a precaution, the airport will remain closed for all civil arrivals and departures. The COS airfield, GA and all military options will remain open. There’s no set reopen date for the airport at this time.
At the time of the fire, the airport was evacuated. Passengers who were on aircraft that just landed at the airport were held on board before eventually being allowed to deplane away from the terminal. Because the baggage system was affected by the fire, passengers who deplaned Monday night did not have access to their luggage. Airlines are working on a way for passengers to retrieve their luggage or have it delivered to them.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation, and there were no injuries reported as a result of the flames. All airport employees are being told to report to the field stop nearby during their regular scheduled shift.
If you have a flight to, from or through COS on Tuesday, the airport is recommending that you call your airline to reschedule your flight.
Photo by KRDO
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees