Colorado Springs Airport Closed Following Overnight Fire
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Colorado Springs Airport (COS) will remain closed on Tuesday for all commercial departures and arrivals following a fire on the roof of the main terminal, which was extinguished early Tuesday morning.
The three-alarm fire broke out around 11:30pm Monday on the roof of the main terminal. It took firefighters about an hour to get the fire out, but crews are still in the process of assessing the smoke, water and fire damage. For Tuesday, the airport will remain closed.
Photos from inside the terminal show some debris on the ground, but don’t appear to be too severe. However, airport Spokeswoman Aidan Ryan told KOAA that the damage done by the three-alarm fire is extensive, with much of the damage caused by water.
However, as a precaution, the airport will remain closed for all civil arrivals and departures. The COS airfield, GA and all military options will remain open. There’s no set reopen date for the airport at this time.
At the time of the fire, the airport was evacuated. Passengers who were on aircraft that just landed at the airport were held on board before eventually being allowed to deplane away from the terminal. Because the baggage system was affected by the fire, passengers who deplaned Monday night did not have access to their luggage. Airlines are working on a way for passengers to retrieve their luggage or have it delivered to them.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation, and there were no injuries reported as a result of the flames. All airport employees are being told to report to the field stop nearby during their regular scheduled shift.
If you have a flight to, from or through COS on Tuesday, the airport is recommending that you call your airline to reschedule your flight.
Photo by KRDO
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.