Copa Airlines to become an all-Boeing carrier
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Panama’s Copa Airlines will join the rarified ranks all-Boeing 737 operators, like Southwest Airlines, with its plans to retire the Embraer E190s.
Copa will accelerate the retirement of the 14 E190s in its fleet by three years with plans to have the type out of its fleet by the beginning of 2021, executives said on a quarterly earnings call Thursday.
The move will see Copa become an all-737 operator, including of the beleaguered 737 MAX, when the E190s are gone. The airline operated 82 737s, not including the MAX, at the end of September.
“There will be cost and [efficiency] advantages from a simpler fleet,” said Pedro Heilbron, CEO of Copa, during the call.
Copa will replace the E190s in its fleet with new 737 MAX jets, he said. The carrier expects its six 737 MAX 9s to return to service around mid-February, and deliveries to resume in the first quarter.
The airline anticipates at least 13 MAX deliveries in 2020.
View this post on Instagram
Copa currently operates 14 E190s with up to 100 seats. The jets fly between the airline’s Panama City (PTY) hub and 35 cities in Latin America, including Bogota (BOG), Guadalajara (GDL) and Lima (LIM), in November, according to Cirium schedule data.
While the MAX will replace the E190s in Copa’s fleet, routes flown with the E-Jets will shift to smaller 737s, including the 737-700, said Heilbron. This will reduce the downward pressure on fares that may result from the added seats in smaller markets.
Copa is one of several carriers retiring the E190 in the next few years. In 2020 alone, American Airlines will retire its 20 E190s, and Air Canada and JetBlue Airways will begin replacing their E-Jets with Airbus A220s. Avianca plans to remove the type by the end of this year.
All of the carriers cite cost and operating benefits from removing the type in favor of either Airbus A319s, like at American and Avianca, or new generation A220s, like at Air Canada and JetBlue.
Copa is a codeshare partner with United Airlines. The two carriers are in the process of forming an expansive joint venture partnership with Avianca and Azul covering flights between Latin America and the U.S.
Featured image by Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.