This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The most famous and recognizable part of one the world’s most famous and iconic aircraft is going up for auction, and it could be yours forever.
The “droop nose” of a test specimen of the Concorde, currently housed in Kansas City, Missouri, will be auctioned off later this month, with auctioneers expecting the item to fetch at least $250,000.
A rare, yet recognizable piece like this from an aircraft type that has not flown for more than 15 years would make an amazing addition to any aviation enthusiast’s collection. If you’re thinking of bidding, you’ll need a pretty big mantlepiece on which to store this — the nose is 25 feet in length.
Despite the logistics of transporting and exhibiting such an unusually shaped and large item, auctioneer Jonathan Humbert told the BBC that the Concorde nose has “already generated global interest”, hence the expected high price tag.
While both British Airways and Air France operated the 14 Concordes produced for commercial services, this is a piece from a test specimen from the additional six aircraft produced for development and testing purposes. It did not belong to either of these airlines and is believed to have been manufactured in the 1960s.
If you’re interested in the possibility of taking home this piece of aviation history, the auction will take place at The Saleroom in Northamptonshire at 11am UK time on June 20, 2019, by auctioneers Humber & Ellis Ltd. You can also register to bid online here.
Starting bids have been set at $114,000, with a buyer’s premium of 23.4% (including sales tax). The lucky bidder will also be responsible for all transport costs from Missouri. US residents can bid, though payments will only be accepted by bankers draft or money order in pounds sterling.
Featured image by David Parker/BWP Media/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards