Get up to 15,000 United miles when you sign up for Clear, stack with Amex Platinum benefit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
United is offering 10,000 miles to general United MileagePlus members and 15,000 to its elite members and those with cobranded cards like the United Explorer Card and United Quest Card. That’s worth $121 to $181.50 based on TPG’s data-backed valuations — which is not too shabby.
You must enroll in this offer by July 9, 2022, to qualify. You can enroll in this offer through this landing page on the Clear website.
According to the CLEAR® website, those with United 1K status are eligible for complimentary membership while United Platinum, Gold and Silver elites and MileagePlus cardholders renew at $109 per year and general MileagePlus members renew at $119 per year. This is a hefty discount off the $189 per year CLEAR® typically charges.
Stack this deal with Amex Clear® benefits
With the right credit card, you might be able to make this offer even more valuable.
In theory, you can stack this with The Platinum Card® from American Express’ CLEAR® benefit. In July 2021, the card added a new statement credit that reimburses the cost of CLEAR® memberships at up to $189 per calendar year. You are reimbursed in the form of a statement credit when you put the charge on that card. Enrollment is required.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Three steps are required to maximize this stacking opportunity:
- Notify Amex that you will be enrolling in CLEAR® (this can generally be done on your profile using the Amex app or americanexpress.com).
- Go to the United/Clear landing page, and select “Get CLEAR®.”
- Complete your CLEAR® enrollment using the Amex card you’ve added the Clear benefit to and your MileagePlus number, and enjoy your 10,000 to 15,000 bonus miles and Clear membership.
According to CLEAR® your bonus miles should post to your MileagePlus account within six to eight weeks.
United and CLEAR®”s new promotion offers a great way to offset the cost of a CLEAR® membership — and it may be stackable into an even better deal for those with CLEAR® credits available on Amex cards. Act quickly, though — the offer will only stick around through July 9, 2022.
Additional reporting by Benji Stawski and Kyle Olsen.
Feature photo by Joni Hanebutt/Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.