CLEAR Now Lets You Buy Booze With Just Your Fingerprint
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
We’ve long been fans of CLEAR in airports, which uses biometrics to expedite the process of getting through security and into whatever lounge awaits on the other side. For frequent flyers, having CLEAR could be the difference between making your flight or spending hours on hold trying to rebook – especially on a busy Monday morning, or trying to get out of Las Vegas after CES has concluded.
The value of CLEAR has ticked up in recent years, with members having faster access into sports stadiums as well as Delta’s SkyClub locations. Rather than fumbling around for an ID or membership card, CLEAR lets your fingerprint act as the authenticator. This week, that same fingerprint will replace ID checks for alcohol/concession purchases for Seahawks and Sounders FC fans at CenturyLink Field and Mariners fans at Safeco Field. You read that right – this marks “the first time in the United States that biometrics replace an ID for age validation and credit card for purchase in a single touch.”
Last year, CLEAR raised $15 million to from T. Rowe Price to expand its footprint as well as the verticals it plays in. At the time, CEO Caryn Seidman-Becker stated: “We see a frictionless future where people no longer need to carry cash, credit cards or IDs with them.” In other words, CLEAR for payments.
CLEAR managed to secure approval from the State of Washington “to replace a traditional ID check with biometric powered age validation,” enabling members at CenturyLink Field and Safeco Field to “buy food and drinks, and simultaneously prove that they are of legal age for alcohol purchases.” There’s no word on when, or if, similar rollouts will occur in other stadiums, restaurants, bars, or airport lounges, but we’re guessing it’s an avenue that the company is exploring.
- CLEAR Lanes at Northwest and Southwest gates
- CLEAR Concessions in the Delta Sky360° Club near sections 210 and 234
- CLEAR Lanes at Home Plate and Left Field gates
- CLEAR Concessions at Double Play Chicken & Sausage (section 136) and Shortstop Beer (section 185)
How to get CLEAR
Signing up is easy — the first step is to register your personal information online. Then, you stop by a CLEAR kiosk to complete your enrollment by registering your biometric and ID information — this process won’t take more than 10 minutes. Once you complete those two steps, you’re all set and can start bypassing the “normal” security lines immediately.
A CLEAR membership costs $179 annually, or $149 using promo code TPG149. However, if you’re a Delta Diamond Medallion member, you can get your CLEAR membership for free. If you have Delta Platinum, Gold or Silver Medallion status or if you’re a cardholder of the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, the Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express or any of their business versions, you can get a discounted membership for $79 annually. If you’re a basic Delta SkyMiles member, you can get an annual rate of $99.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.