Class Action Settlement: Are 12,500 – 35,000 British Airways Avios Heading Your Way?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To The Point
Don’t overlook an important email that may contain your key to 12,500 – 35,000 British Airways Avios that might be heading your way thanks to a recent class action settlement. In fact, some people might even want to select the cash version of the settlement, so here’s what to look for…
I’m sure you get tons of ‘junk email’ every day, and it can be very hard to differentiate the real email from the garbage. An email related to British Airways Avios was just sent out to many in the miles and points community, and you do not want to accidentally overlook it.
The email was informing that if you have had a valid United States address on file with the British Airways Executive Club, and you redeemed British Airways Avios for an award ticket from November 9, 2006 – April 17, 2013, then you may be able to claim some Avios or even cash as part of a class action settlement.
The subject line of the email is “Dover v. British Airways Fuel Surcharge Class Action Notice”, and if you have the email then it is very likely you can claim cash or British Airways Avios because a settlement was reached after the “class” alleged that the fuel surcharges charged on award flights were not reasonably related to the price or cost of fuel. British Airways denies any wrongdoing, but none the less, a settlement was reached, and those within the class who paid a fuel surcharge on a British Airways award during that timeframe may have a ‘payout’ waiting for them.
If you meet the criteria of the settlement, then you can select an Avios payment between 12,500 – 35,000 Avios, depending on how many times you redeemed Avios during the class period. Alternatively, you can choose a cash option that will equate to 16.9% of the total fuel surcharges you paid during the included timeframe out of the estimated aggregate settlement payment of $27,125,000.
I don’t frequently book award tickets that come with big fuel surcharges, so in my case, I was offered either 12,500 Avios or $14.09. That was easy math as I value 12,500 Avios at well over $150, so I went with the Avios. As you may already know, even if you don’t frequently fly on British Airways, 12,500 Avios is enough for a nonstop flight of up to 3,000 flown miles on partners such as Alaska or American Airlines. That means you could fly something like Phoenix to Honolulu for just this amount of this settlement, which is clearly worth more than $14.09.
Thanks to all involved with this settlement for my ‘free’ flight to Hawaii!
Once I selected Avios as my payment, I was told they would be automatically deposited in my British Airways Executive Club account within 30 days.
The good news for those who may miss the email is that if you are included in the settlement, then even if you do nothing, you will still get the Avios awarded at some point after July 29, 2018. This is assuming you don’t opt out and you still have an active Executive Club account. If you want the cash option, you must make that claim by July 29, 2018.
If you think you should be eligible for this settlement but did not receive the email with a unique identifying number for your account then you can head to www.fuelsurchargeclassaction.com, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 1-833-261-2496.
Did you have this email in your inbox and what were your settlement options?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees