Class Action Settlement: Are 12,500 – 35,000 British Airways Avios Heading Your Way?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To The Point
Don’t overlook an important email that may contain your key to 12,500 – 35,000 British Airways Avios that might be heading your way thanks to a recent class action settlement. In fact, some people might even want to select the cash version of the settlement, so here’s what to look for…
I’m sure you get tons of ‘junk email’ every day, and it can be very hard to differentiate the real email from the garbage. An email related to British Airways Avios was just sent out to many in the miles and points community, and you do not want to accidentally overlook it.
The email was informing that if you have had a valid United States address on file with the British Airways Executive Club, and you redeemed British Airways Avios for an award ticket from November 9, 2006 – April 17, 2013, then you may be able to claim some Avios or even cash as part of a class action settlement.
The subject line of the email is “Dover v. British Airways Fuel Surcharge Class Action Notice”, and if you have the email then it is very likely you can claim cash or British Airways Avios because a settlement was reached after the “class” alleged that the fuel surcharges charged on award flights were not reasonably related to the price or cost of fuel. British Airways denies any wrongdoing, but none the less, a settlement was reached, and those within the class who paid a fuel surcharge on a British Airways award during that timeframe may have a ‘payout’ waiting for them.
If you meet the criteria of the settlement, then you can select an Avios payment between 12,500 – 35,000 Avios, depending on how many times you redeemed Avios during the class period. Alternatively, you can choose a cash option that will equate to 16.9% of the total fuel surcharges you paid during the included timeframe out of the estimated aggregate settlement payment of $27,125,000.
I don’t frequently book award tickets that come with big fuel surcharges, so in my case, I was offered either 12,500 Avios or $14.09. That was easy math as I value 12,500 Avios at well over $150, so I went with the Avios. As you may already know, even if you don’t frequently fly on British Airways, 12,500 Avios is enough for a nonstop flight of up to 3,000 flown miles on partners such as Alaska or American Airlines. That means you could fly something like Phoenix to Honolulu for just this amount of this settlement, which is clearly worth more than $14.09.
Thanks to all involved with this settlement for my ‘free’ flight to Hawaii!
Once I selected Avios as my payment, I was told they would be automatically deposited in my British Airways Executive Club account within 30 days.
The good news for those who may miss the email is that if you are included in the settlement, then even if you do nothing, you will still get the Avios awarded at some point after July 29, 2018. This is assuming you don’t opt out and you still have an active Executive Club account. If you want the cash option, you must make that claim by July 29, 2018.
If you think you should be eligible for this settlement but did not receive the email with a unique identifying number for your account then you can head to www.fuelsurchargeclassaction.com, send an email to email@example.com, or call 1-833-261-2496.
Did you have this email in your inbox and what were your settlement options?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.