It’s here to stay: How you can earn 80,000 points on the Citi Premier card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story is regularly updated with the latest offers and information. Citi is a TPG advertising partner.
One credit card that has long been on my radar is the Citi Premier® Card. And thanks to the newly increased welcome bonus, I finally bit the bullet and applied this past summer.
In fact, it’s the best publicly available offer we’ve ever seen. And now it’s here to stay…for good.
Going forward, the Citi Premier Card’s 80,000-point sign-up bonus after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening will now be the card’s standard offer. According to TPG valuations that peg a ThankYou point at 1.7 cents, the entire bonus is worth $1,360.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Aside from the potential points haul that the sign-up bonus represents, the Citi Premier is one of the best earners among rewards credit cards thanks to its various bonus categories, which include:
- 3 ThankYou points per dollar at restaurants
- 3 ThankYou points per dollar at supermarkets
- 3 ThankYou points per dollar at gas stations
- 3 ThankYou points per dollar on air travel and hotels
Unfortunately, Citi eliminated the bonus on entertainment purchases (previously 2x) and the broad category of travel (previously 3x).
On the plus side, cardholders now receive a $100 hotel credit on purchases of $500 or more (excluding taxes and fees) made through. That’s some solid savings — and entirely new as of last year.
Apply here for the 80,000-point bonus on the Citi Premier card.
What can you do with those ThankYou points?
What’s particularly valuable about ThankYou points is the ability to utilize the issuer’s 16 airline transfer partners — including a temporary partnership with American Airlines through Nov. 13, 2021.
For some context, after meeting the initial spending requirement of $4,000 in the first three months, you’ll have at least 84,000 ThankYou points.
That’s enough for several round-trip domestic United flights or a Lufthansa business class flight to Europe (you’d need 87,000 points to fly Lufthansa first) booked through Citi’s transfer partner, Avianca LifeMiles. There are also plenty of great redemptions through Singapore KrisFlyer, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Flying Blue, Etihad Guest, and other airline partner programs.
However, if you value simplicity, the 80,000-point sign-up bonus will let you book $800 of paid travel directly at the Citi ThankYou travel center or redeem for $800 in gift cards. You’ll earn miles and elite status on these flights by redeeming points this way and you don’t have to worry about award availability.
Things to consider
You aren’t eligible for the sign-up bonus with the Citi Premier if you’ve opened or closed select Citi cards in the last 24 months.
“Bonus ThankYou® Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these accounts, in the past 24 months.”
There are tons of other smaller benefits on this card that can get overshadowed by the big ones: free FICO credit score, temporary purchase lock, lost wallet protection for emergency cash, Citi Concierge access, complimentary ShopRunner membership, no foreign transaction fees, Citi Entertainment and more.
Unfortunately, in 2019, Citi eliminated many travel protection benefits, including lost baggage protection and trip delay protection.
Related: Review of the Citi Premier card
Between the all-time high standard sign-up bonus and 3 points per dollar earnings on a wide range of popular bonus categories, now is an excellent time to consider the Citi Premier card.
If you’re ready to add it to your wallet, here’s the link to apply for the Citi Premier card with an 80,000 point bonus.
Additional reporting by Juan Ruiz.
Featured photo by John Gribben/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees