Citi ThankYou adds new SkyTeam airline transfer partner
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner.
Here at TPG, we like options when it comes time to book award travel so that all your eggs — err, miles — aren’t in one basket and thus aren’t as subject to devaluations and award-chart changes. That means we get usually pretty excited when credit card programs add new transfer partners, since more partners means more options.
Today, the Citi ThankYou program has added a new airline transfer partner in Aeromexico’s Club Premier. This brings the number of ThankYou transfer partners to 15 airline programs (though one is JetPrivilege, which was the program of Jet Airways but continues to operate in spite of the carrier’s demise.)
Aeromexico is in the SkyTeam alliance, along with airlines such as Delta, KLM and Air France. The transfer ratio from Citi ThankYou to Premier Club will be 1:1. Aeromexico’s award chart is generally not thought of as being amazing for Aeromexico and other SkyTeam partners. They do technically list an around-the-world award with 15 stopovers, though I haven’t heard of anyone successfully booking.
If you are hoping to fly in a lie-flat seat to Mexico City (MEX), that is possible on some Aeromexico routes operated by the Dreamliner, such as this Los Angeles (LAX) – MEX itinerary available or about 52,000 Club Premier points. Economy seats can be found on this route for around 18,500 points each direction.
You can’t book most traditional partner awards online via Premier Club, though some Delta awards are available online.
Otherwise, you may need to find the award space you want and then call Aeromexico to book many awards over the phone.
Citi ThankYou point-earning cards include:
- Citi Prestige® Card
- Citi Premier℠ Card
- Citi Rewards+℠ Card
- Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card
- AT&T Access Card from Citi
- Citi® Double Cash Card (via a linked ThankYou account)
- AT&T Access More Mastercard from Citi (no longer available for new sign-ups, but product transfers are still possible)
The information for the Citi Rewards+ Card, Citi Rewards+ Student Card, Citi Prestige, Citi Premier, Citi Double Cash, AT&T Access Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
While this isn’t the most exciting addition we have ever seen, our fingers are crossed for some nice transfer bonuses down the road and more transfer options are always a good thing. If you need additional Premier Club miles, the program is also a transfer partner of Amex Membership Rewards and Capital One. Here are additional tips for redeeming Citi ThankYou points.
Featured image by Wyatt Smith / The Points Guy
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.