Citi offers statement credit, companion certificate extension to select AAdvantage cardholders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner.
As the coronavirus pandemic continues to drag on, credit card issuers are starting to address the fact that many of their customers are paying for travel-related benefits they may not get to use this year. We’ve already seen both Chase and Amex take the initiative by offering annual fee reductions, new bonus categories and additional statement credits across a wide swath of their portfolios, and now Citi is doing the same for select AAdvantage cardholders.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® is the most premium American Airlines credit card on the market with an annual fee of $450. The primary benefit of the card that justifies that fee is a full Admirals Club membership, which normally costs between $550 and $650 depending on whether you have elite status with American Airlines. Better yet, the card allows you to add up to 10 authorized users, each of whom gets their own membership.
With most Admirals Clubs closed due to lack of demand and local regulations, Citi is offering customers whose accounts were open as of March 31, 2020, a one-time $225 statement credit upon account renewal. This represents a 50% rebate on the annual fee, and lowers the out-of-pocket cost for the AAdvantage Executive card to just $225 a year.
Citi’s entry-level AA card, the Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard, charges a modest annual fee of $99. As part of a recent refresh, the card added the ability to earn a $125 AA flight discount after you spend $20,000 in a cardmember year and renew your card.
The CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® offers the ability to earn a companion certificate valid for domestic main cabin travel after you spend $30,000 during your cardmember year and renew the account (account must remain open at least 45 days after account anniversary). You’ll need to pay a $99 fee to redeem the certificate, plus applicable taxes and fees between $21.60 to $43.20. Customers who hold a companion certificate expiring Dec. 31, 2020, will also receive a six-month extension, bumping the expiration date to June 30, 2021.
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card and CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The coronavirus pandemic has rapidly upended the entire world of travel, and card issuers are recognizing that they’ll need to make adjustments if they want their customers to weather this storm alongside them as opposed to closing their accounts. Citi has taken a great step here by reducing the annual fee on its most premium AAdvantage card and extending key benefits on other cards as well.
Featured image by Eric Helgas for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees