Citi launches a new ‘custom’ credit card that earns up to 5% back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner.
There’s an all-new card on the market. If you’re tired of keeping track of category bonuses, this new cash-back card makes it as simple as can be.
Citi is no stranger to rewarding cash-back products. For instance, the no-annual-fee Citi® Double Cash Card offers 2% earnings on all purchases — 1% when you buy and another 1% as you pay.
The issuer’s latest card works differently, with the potential to be even more lucrative. But there’s also a major limitation.
Here are all the details.
The Citi Custom Cash℠ Card is currently offering $200 in cash back after you spend $750 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. The bonus offer is fulfilled as 20,000 ThankYou Points.
Earning made easy
There is a wide array of 10 eligible categories and they include:
- Gas stations
- Grocery stores
- Select travel*
- Select transit**
- Select streaming services***
- Home improvement stores
- Fitness clubs
- Live entertainment
*Select travel is defined as airlines, hotels, cruise lines and travel agencies
**Select transit is defined as car rentals, ferries, commuter railways, subways, taxis/limousines/car services, passenger railways, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, bus lines and motor home and recreational vehicle rentals.
***Select streaming services are defined as cable, satellite and streaming providers such as Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Music, Apple Music, CBS All Access, Disney+, AT&T TV NOW, ESPN+, fuboTV, HBO Max, NBA League Pass, Netflix, Pandora, Showtime, Sling TV, Spotify, Starz, SiriusXM, Vudu, YouTube Red, YouTube TV and Tidal
…but there’s a limit to 5% back
The major catch?
There is a limit of up to $500 per billing cycle for the 5% earning rate; all earnings after $500 earn only 1% cash back. Therefore, the maximum earnings are $25 per billing cycle at the 5% rate.
Since several no-annual-fee cards earn more than 1% back, including Citi’s own Double Cash card, I personally wouldn’t recommend spending on this card beyond $500 per billing cycle.
All cash back is earned in the form of ThankYou points. You can redeem those points for cash back as a direct deposit, check or statement credit or on travel and gift cards.
How to maximize earnings
In particular, you can transfer your points to a variety of airline transfer partners. Based on TPG’s valuation of Citi ThankYou points at 1.7 cents each, this means you can earn an effective 8.5% return when you buy and pay with your Citi Custom Cash (on the first $500 per billing period).
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The Citi Custom Cash earns a lucrative 5% back on your top spending category — with the caveat that it’s only on the first $500 spent each billing cycle.
Likely the biggest competitor to the Custom Cash card is the Chase Freedom Flex, which also earns 5% cash back (5x points) on up to $1,500 per quarter (which is about three billing cycles) after activation. The Freedom Flex also comes with 5% cash back earnings on Lyft rides (through March 2022), 5% cash back on travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3% cash back on dining and 3% cash back on drug store purchases.
However, Chase’s product requires you to activate the 5x bonus each quarter — and those could be specific categories you have no interest in spending in. In this instance, the Custom Cash card comes out ahead since 5x earnings happen automatically (up to $500 per billing cycle) on whatever you decide to spend on.
That makes the Custom Cash card, well, more customizable.
Apply now: Citi Custom Cash Card
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees