Citi / AAdvantage cardholders may be eligible for mileage boost on online spending
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner
There’s good news for cardholders of certain American Airlines cobranded cards: Check your account, because you might be eligible to get a chunk of bonus miles for your spending over the next couple of months.
Some TPG staff members who carry the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® received what appears to be a targeted offer over the weekend. Between now and the end of July, you can receive 5 miles for every dollar you spend online shopping.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
In order to tap into the mileage boost, you have to sign up to activate the promotion, and you have until July 31 to take advantage of it.
It appears this would apply to virtually any online spending, as long as the merchant codes the sale in such a way that Citi can tell the purchase was made online.
Who and what is eligible
It’s not entirely clear what the parameters were to qualify for this offer, but we can confirm some Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard cardholders did get the offer.
There’s a link where you can go to “activate” the opportunity, which will allow you to start earning 4 extra miles for every mile you earn through your online spending. Cardholders of this particular cobranded card only earn double miles on airline-related purchases, and those are excluded from this offer.
The deadline to activate the offer is June 15.
TPG holders of the Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver World Elite Mastercard didn’t get the offer.
The information for the AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard, and Silver World Elite Mastercard has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer
How this helps
The benefit of this offer is a pretty straightforward one: You’ll just get a nice boost for your online spending over the next few months.
If you spend $500, you’ll accrue 2,500 AAdvantage miles. That puts you a third of the way to the AAdvantage program’s lowest mileage redemption for a flight within the 48 contiguous U.S. states, according to the airline’s flight award chart.
When I mentioned $500 and 2,500 AAdvantage miles just a second ago, those were not random, hypothetical numbers.
That’s the limit for this offer.
You’re capped at 2,500 miles in potential bonus miles for your spending through this offer.
So, we’re not talking about a massively lucrative or long-lasting opportunity, but hey, it’ll get you a nice chunk of the way toward a free flight!
Impact on American Airlines status
Under American Airlines’ new Loyalty Points system that kicked off in March, you can earn 1 Loyalty Point for every dollar you spend on a cobranded credit card.
Purchases that earn double miles or better with the credit card don’t earn you multiplied Loyalty Points.
So, while your online (or any other) spending on the card will help you work your way toward status on American Airlines, this offer does not mean you’ll be able to earn Loyalty Points by a factor of five.
Right now members who sign up for the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard can get 50,000 bonus AAdvantage miles when they spend $5,000 during the first three months after activating the card. Cardholders earn double miles for every dollar spent on eligible American Airlines purchases, and 1 mile for every dollar spent on other purchases. The card carries a $450 annual fee, and is perhaps most notable for getting members access to Admirals Clubs, along with other airline baggage, boarding and customer service benefits.
If you’re someone who looks for every opportunity to get a leg up on your milege earnings, for cardholders who get this offer, this is one more way to earn miles at a higher rate than you’re normally able to, just through your everyday spending.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees