This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Existing users of the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard learned on Tuesday that the card will soon be getting a refresh. For the first time, the co-branded American Airlines credit card from Citi will offer bonus categories beyond extra points on purchases with the airline itself, plus an additional flight discount benefit.
First, here’s how the new earning rates will break down:
- 2x miles at restaurants
- 2x miles at gas stations
- 2x on American Airlines purchases
- 1x on everything else
On top of adding bonus categories for restaurants and gas purchases, the card will also come with a $100 American Airlines flight discount after making $20,000 in purchases in a cardmember year and renewing the card. The $100 certificate is redeemable for tickets purchased on flights operated by certain airlines (including American, Compass, ExpressJet and others) and must be used on itineraries that originate in the US, Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands. The flight discount is also redeemable on any Oneworld or AA codeshares when booked through aa.com or by calling AA reservation
Along with these generally positive changes, there’s also a small bit of negative news — when the new terms take effect, the annual fee will be increasing from $95 to $99 per year. A $4 increase isn’t the end of the world, and new cardholders will continue to have the annual fee waived during the first year of cardmembership.
Overall, these are some pretty nice changes for the card. Whether or not 2x AAdvantage miles on restaurants and gas stations are worth prioritizing this card in your wallet over other options will depend on your individual points and miles strategy and travel goals. The $100 credit is also a positive, but it requires a significant amount of spend on the card in one year.
For new cardholders, you’ll see the new earn rates and benefits beginning May 3, 2018, and for existing cardholders, the changes will kick in on July 22, 2018. If you’re interested in learning more about the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum card, you can read about all the benefits and perks in these stories:
- Card Review: Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
- 5 Lesser-Known Benefits of the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
- Choosing the Best Card for American Airlines Flyers
This story has been updated to correct information on the annual fee — it will continue to be waived in the first year for new cardmembers.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
If you're a frequent American flyer but don't have status, additional perks that come with this card like first free checked bag on domestic AA itineraries, preferred boarding on American flights can be extremely valuable.
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at restaurants*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- Earn a $125 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Receive 25% savings on inflight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*