This airport made a Christmas tree out of items confiscated by security
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You know you can’t carry scissors through security, right? If you need a reminder on what can and cannot go on board, visit Lithuania: Travelers passing through Vilnius Airport (VNO) this month can spot a cheeky Christmas tree made entirely out of confiscated items.
The handmade Christmas tree is primarily composed of scissors — hundreds of pairs of them — spray painted forest green to simulate an evergreen. Other brightly colored items are sprinkled around for visual interest: Cigarette lighters, toy guns, more scissors, a variety of blades and box cutters, nail clippers, bullet cases, chisels, wrenches, ever so many Swiss Army knives and oh-so-much more.
The crowning glory is a beautiful star atop the tree, which appears to be made of 10 cheese knives arranged in a circle, business ends out.
It’s frustrating, embarrassing and inconvenient to be called out of line for a secondary bag check, especially when passing through an airport where the rules are stricter than they are at home. And on the other side, security officials are beyond weary of repeating the same messages over and over again.
So, take the Lithuanian airport’s advice to heart: “If you don’t want your personal, yet prohibited, belongings to land on our next year’s Christmas tree — better check out the baggage requirements before you pack for your next flight.”
All photos by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees