This airport made a Christmas tree out of items confiscated by security
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You know you can’t carry scissors through security, right? If you need a reminder on what can and cannot go on board, visit Lithuania: Travelers passing through Vilnius Airport (VNO) this month can spot a cheeky Christmas tree made entirely out of confiscated items.
The handmade Christmas tree is primarily composed of scissors — hundreds of pairs of them — spray painted forest green to simulate an evergreen. Other brightly colored items are sprinkled around for visual interest: Cigarette lighters, toy guns, more scissors, a variety of blades and box cutters, nail clippers, bullet cases, chisels, wrenches, ever so many Swiss Army knives and oh-so-much more.
The crowning glory is a beautiful star atop the tree, which appears to be made of 10 cheese knives arranged in a circle, business ends out.
It’s frustrating, embarrassing and inconvenient to be called out of line for a secondary bag check, especially when passing through an airport where the rules are stricter than they are at home. And on the other side, security officials are beyond weary of repeating the same messages over and over again.
So, take the Lithuanian airport’s advice to heart: “If you don’t want your personal, yet prohibited, belongings to land on our next year’s Christmas tree — better check out the baggage requirements before you pack for your next flight.”
All photos by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.