This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Choice’s Privileges hotel points program is greatly undervalued. And, I’m not the only one who thinks this — Choice lands atop TPG’s list of most undervalued hotel programs as well. Now through April 29, 2019, you can buy Choice points with a 50% bonus.
Let’s look into why you might want to do so — even if you haven’t considered Choice Privileges before.
In my travels around the world, I’ve used Choice points to stay in the heart of Osaka, Japan; in a two-room suite in Stuttgart, Germany; and in the heart of Frankfurt, Germany — each for just 8,000 Choice points per night. And, for 14 nights in October and November, my wife Katie and I stayed in a “suite” in NYC for just 8,000 Choice points per night. While it was pretty basic, you can’t beat that points rate in the Big Apple.
Since we get such excellent value from Choice points — and there aren’t many ways of stocking up on Choice points — Katie and I make sure to buy the maximum allowed each year.
However, it’s important to note that Choice changes its point redemption amounts every couple of months. That suite in NYC at the Gowanus Inn now starts at 20,000 points per night instead of 8,000 points per night. So, let’s consider what you can get currently.
If you’re heading to Auckland, New Zealand now through June 30, you can redeem just 6,000 points per night for a hotel in the heart of the city. If you purchase points with the 50% bonus, you can redeem them at this hotel to pay just $44 per night.
Japan is one of my favorite places to get great value from Choice points. So, I checked out our options in Tokyo. Sure enough, there’s a 8,000-points-per-night option just outside downtown Tokyo — located three stops away from the Imperial Palace and only a short distance from Disneyland Tokyo. The room comes with continental breakfast and even has laundry on-site if you want to be super-budget.
During this promotion, you can buy points for as little as 0.73 cents per point. At that rate, 8,000 points cost under $59 per night — around a 40% discount to what the rooms are otherwise selling for.
And there’s plenty of other options available at 8,000 points per night. That includes the following Ascend Hotel Collection hotels — Choice’s upscale boutique hotels:
- V8 Hotel Koln @MOTORWORLD in Cologne, Germany now through June 30
- Insignia in Ontario, Canada now through June 30
- Le Noranda Hotel & Spa in Rouyn-Noranda, Canada now through June 30
- The House Hotel in Galway, Ireland now through June 30
- Hotel Woodstock in Ennis, Ireland now through June 30
- Ten Square Hotel in Belfast, Northern Ireland now through June 30
These examples just scratch the surface of the lowest-cost tier of hotels. Depending on your travel plans and preferences, you can get great value from Choice points up and down the hotel spectrum.
Now, you can score award nights at 8,000-point properties like these for just $59 per night by buying points through Choice’s latest buy points promotion now through April 29. This discount drops the price of Choice points to 0.73 cents per point.
It’s important to note that TPG’s latest valuation of Choice points is 0.6 cents per point. So, buying points through this promotion isn’t a no-brainer. However, if you know how to use Choice points — like in parts of Europe and Japan or for these incredible sweet spots in the US — buying points through this promotion can save you quite a bit on an upcoming trip.
Plus, there’s another reason that this buy points promotion is attractive: There aren’t many good ways of getting Choice points. Sure, you could transfer American Express Membership Rewards points at a 1:1 ratio, but it’s generally a poor use of a much more valuable currency. The best way of stocking up on Choice points through a credit card is to sign up for the Choice Privileges Visa Credit Card, which is currently offering 32,000 bonus points for spending $1,000 in 90 days.
Details of This Promotion
The regular price for buying Choice points is 1.10 cents per point ($11 per 1,000 points), but you can drop that price to just 0.73 cents per point with this promotion. You’ll get the 50% bonus — netting the 0.73 cents per point purchase rate — when you purchase at least 30,000 points. Here’s the breakdown of this promotion’s bonus tiers:
- 1,000 to 4,000 points: no discount or bonus (1.1 cents per point)
- 5,000 to 9,000 points: 20% bonus (0.92 cents per point)
- 10,000 to 19,000 points: 30% bonus (0.85 cents per point)
- 20,000 to 29,000 points: 40% bonus (0.79 cents per point)
- 30,000 to 50,000 points: 50% bonus (0.73 cents per point)
How to Buy Choice Points
To take advantage of the promotion, follow these steps:
- Visit Choice’s Buy Points page.
- Enter your name, Choice Privileges member number and email address to log in.
- Select the number of points you’d like to buy.
- Add your credit card details.
- Review the information, check the box to agree to the Terms and Conditions and click Pay Now to finalize the purchase.
- Your points should post to the designated account within 24 hours after your transaction is complete.
Keep in mind that the usual restrictions for purchasing Choice Privileges points apply to this promotion, including the following:
- Points may be purchased in increments of 1,000 points up to a maximum of 50,000 points per year.
- Purchased points do not count toward Elite Status or Lifetime Elite Gold Status.
- Transactions are final and nonrefundable.
Which Credit Card to Use
Since this purchase is processed by Points.com, these purchases won’t code as travel. So, you won’t get 3x from cards such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Citi Premier Card, with one exception: we’ve noticed that the Ink Business Preferred Credit Card card has earned 3x points per dollar spent on Points.com. If you don’t have that card yet, you’ll want to use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image courtesy of Ten Square Hotel in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page about Choice’s “buy points” promotions, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for the latest offer. Keep in mind you may see some reader comments referring to older deals below.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3 points per dollar on the first $150,000 in combined spending on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, and advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year
- Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases–with no limit to the amount you can earn
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more – your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- No foreign transaction fees
- Employee cards at no additional cost
- $95 Annual Fee