Chinese Pilot Who Landed an Airbus With Cracked Windshield Gets $780K
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Chinese pilot who safely landed a Sichuan Airlines flight with 119 passengers after his co-pilot was sucked halfway out a broken cockpit windshield was awarded five million yuan, or nearly $780,000, last week.
On June 8th, the Chinese Civil Aviation Administration and Sichuan Province awarded Sichuan Airlines captain Liu Chuanjian the “China Civil Aviation Heroes Unit” award as the “Chivalry Officer of the Chinese Civil Aviation” for his emergency landing of flight 3U8633, according to a Google-translated version of a story published by China’s Xinhua News Agency.
According to Xinhua, another captain in service on the flight, Liang Peng, was awarded two million yuan; the co-pilot, who was pulled back into the cockpit and survived, was awarded a million yuan, and so were the other six crew members.
The aircraft was about 40 minutes into its flight from Chongqing (CKG) to Lhasa (LXA) and 32,000 feet up when the windshield cracked, causing quick decompression and dragging co-pilot Xu Ruichen halfway out. Fortunately, because of Chaunjian’s swift reaction, no passengers were harmed.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees