Chinese Pilot Who Landed an Airbus With Cracked Windshield Gets $780K
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Chinese pilot who safely landed a Sichuan Airlines flight with 119 passengers after his co-pilot was sucked halfway out a broken cockpit windshield was awarded five million yuan, or nearly $780,000, last week.
On June 8th, the Chinese Civil Aviation Administration and Sichuan Province awarded Sichuan Airlines captain Liu Chuanjian the “China Civil Aviation Heroes Unit” award as the “Chivalry Officer of the Chinese Civil Aviation” for his emergency landing of flight 3U8633, according to a Google-translated version of a story published by China’s Xinhua News Agency.
According to Xinhua, another captain in service on the flight, Liang Peng, was awarded two million yuan; the co-pilot, who was pulled back into the cockpit and survived, was awarded a million yuan, and so were the other six crew members.
The aircraft was about 40 minutes into its flight from Chongqing (CKG) to Lhasa (LXA) and 32,000 feet up when the windshield cracked, causing quick decompression and dragging co-pilot Xu Ruichen halfway out. Fortunately, because of Chaunjian’s swift reaction, no passengers were harmed.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.