China Southern Group Unveils Massive Fleet Additions, Speaks Out Against US Protectionism
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The China aviation market is growing rapidly. Boeing recently estimated that Chinese airlines are going to purchase more than $1 trillion in aircraft in the next 20 years. That equates to a mind-blowing 6,810 new aircraft, or more than 340 new aircraft per year.
And one airline group is certainly doing its part to make these numbers a reality. As unveiled in corporate reporting Monday, China Southern Group is expected to take delivery of 309 aircraft by the end of 2020. That consists of:
|Airbus A320 family||39||42||24||105|
That’s a huge number, and especially impressive considering China Southern Group’s fleet ended 2017 with 754 aircraft. Members in the group consist of China Southern Airlines and its affiliate airlines: Chengdu Airlines, China Postal Airlines, Chongqing Airlines, Hebei Airlines, Jiangxi Air, Sichuan Airlines, Xiamen Airlines.
And unlike some airlines, which are aggressively ordering new aircraft to retire older planes, China Southern’s fleet is already pretty modern. The average age of all aircraft tracked by AirFleets.net is just 7.1 years.
As a point of comparison, American Airlines has the youngest fleet of the US majors and it’s average fleet age is 10.3 years. Alaska is at 7.7 years and Delta is one of the oldest in the US at 16.8 years. And, China Southern’s average age is only going to drop as these 309 aircraft are added to the fleet.
And for reference of the scale of 309 new aircraft, British Airways has only 268 aircraft in its entire global operations — albeit with a higher average capacity than the single-aisle aircraft China Southern has on order.
Record Profits, Strong Words
This massive fleet addition was unveiled in earnings report on Monday in which the airline reported a 17% increase in profits. The airline group set a new record in 2017 with RMB 5.91 billion (US$942 million) in profit.
But, the airline is afraid that US tariffs and protectionism policies might endanger that. In the earnings announcement Monday morning, China Southern Group’s Chairman Wang Changshun made his stance clear:
This kind of (US) policy does not benefit people in China or the US, or the healthy development of enterprises in both countries. We firmly advocate any decision the Chinese government makes and hope US companies can make suggestions to their government.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees