China Eastern Joins the Pack and Adds Basic Economy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The growing trend of basic economy flights — which promise lower fares in exchange for no checked bags, no seat selection and nonrefundable tickets — has officially reached Asia. You can now book basic economy flights on China Eastern, but only available for international flights within Asia. trans-Pacific, intra-China and other long-haul options are not yet affected, though as the trend continues to grow, it’s likely we’ll be seeing them sometime soon.
Basic economy base fares are cheaper, though not by much. It’s possible that other flights will offer larger discounts for basic economy vs standard, but on this route it’s just $25 more for the opportunity to change, refund, or upgrade your ticket, in addition to a free checked bag.
Let’s take a look at the differences in amenities for the different fare classes:
This move mimics many of Asia’s ultra low-cost carriers, such as Air Asia, which offers deeply discounted tickets in an unbundled format, charging additional fees for seat selection, checked bags and even food.
As China Eastern is a full-service airline, I don’t expect them to begin charging you for a meal anytime soon, but the move to basic economy reflects current industry trend, with US carriers (Delta, United, American Airlines) leading the pack, and European carriers racing along just behind (British Airways, KLM, Air France).
I’m not a particular fan of basic economy, but if you’re really desperate to save a few dollars, this could be something you’d use. In the meantime, let’s hope other carriers are a bit slow to follow suit.
H/T: One Mile At a Time
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Feature photo courtesy of Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.