China Eastern Allegedly Fires Flight Attendant After Her Boyfriend Proposes Midflight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A China Eastern Airlines flight attendant may have been fired by the carrier after her boyfriend proposed to her – on the job.
On May 19, the unnamed flight attendant was working on Flight MU2329 from Xian (XIY) to Yinchuan (INC) when her boyfriend of four years got down on one knee in the aisle, about a half-hour after takeoff. The surprised woman was happy and emotional, wiping away tears in viral video captured by passengers who later uploaded the footage to video sharing site Pear Video. Voiceover commentary from the poster offered additional context, saying that all of the passengers were very moved by the gesture.
The voiceover states: “This morning, I was a passenger on this flight from Xian to Yinchuan. About half an hour after we departed, a man proposed to one of the flight attendants. She was very emotional and even cried before accepting his proposal. At the time, all of the passengers were very touched and even applauded the happy couple. Later, they thanked everyone for witnessing their special moment and introduced themselves a little bit, saying that the man was also an employee of the airline.”
The video also depicts the flight attendant using the intercom to say, “I really had no idea he was going to propose today on this flight. Thank you, everyone, for witnessing the moment with us.” The Pear video ends with text stating “Although this is very romantic, please do not neglect safety!”
Unfortunately, the airline seems to share the video commenter’s opinion: On September 10, Liaoning Satellite TV reported that the flight attendant allegedly had been let go by the carrier for “neglecting passenger safety” during the special moment, stating that the mid-flight proposal had caused a disturbance for the passengers and was an “irresponsible act.” TPG reached out to China Eastern Airlines for confirmation regarding both the flight attendant and her fiancé’s employment status, but was unable to reach an authorized spokesperson. The customer service agent told TPG that the airline does not have a press office.
Featured image of a China Airlines Boeing 777-300ER at Shanghai Pudong International Airport on September 2018 by Yu Chun Christopher Wong/S3studio/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees