China Eastern Allegedly Fires Flight Attendant After Her Boyfriend Proposes Midflight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A China Eastern Airlines flight attendant may have been fired by the carrier after her boyfriend proposed to her – on the job.
On May 19, the unnamed flight attendant was working on Flight MU2329 from Xian (XIY) to Yinchuan (INC) when her boyfriend of four years got down on one knee in the aisle, about a half-hour after takeoff. The surprised woman was happy and emotional, wiping away tears in viral video captured by passengers who later uploaded the footage to video sharing site Pear Video. Voiceover commentary from the poster offered additional context, saying that all of the passengers were very moved by the gesture.
The voiceover states: “This morning, I was a passenger on this flight from Xian to Yinchuan. About half an hour after we departed, a man proposed to one of the flight attendants. She was very emotional and even cried before accepting his proposal. At the time, all of the passengers were very touched and even applauded the happy couple. Later, they thanked everyone for witnessing their special moment and introduced themselves a little bit, saying that the man was also an employee of the airline.”
The video also depicts the flight attendant using the intercom to say, “I really had no idea he was going to propose today on this flight. Thank you, everyone, for witnessing the moment with us.” The Pear video ends with text stating “Although this is very romantic, please do not neglect safety!”
Unfortunately, the airline seems to share the video commenter’s opinion: On September 10, Liaoning Satellite TV reported that the flight attendant allegedly had been let go by the carrier for “neglecting passenger safety” during the special moment, stating that the mid-flight proposal had caused a disturbance for the passengers and was an “irresponsible act.” TPG reached out to China Eastern Airlines for confirmation regarding both the flight attendant and her fiancé’s employment status, but was unable to reach an authorized spokesperson. The customer service agent told TPG that the airline does not have a press office.
Featured image of a China Airlines Boeing 777-300ER at Shanghai Pudong International Airport on September 2018 by Yu Chun Christopher Wong/S3studio/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.