Cherry Blossom Season Might Be Starting Earlier in Japan This Year
Cherry blossom season might be coming to Japan early this year, and extreme climate might have something to do with it.
Japanese Cherry Blossom trees, also known as “sakura,” are a great source of pride for the country as well as a major must-see item on the lists of tourists from all around the world. Usually, this season is beckoned in around spring with the annual “hanami” celebration, in which people gather around the cherry blossoms, partake in spring festivities and absorb the beauty of the trees.
However, there might be a hitch in this year’s tradition as over 350 flowering sakura have been spotted throughout Japan months before regular bloom. According to tree surgeon Hiroyuki Wada, this is due to the severe weather conditions that affected the nation throughout the summer, specifically the high volume of typhoons.
Wada explained that the strength of the typhoons caused abrasions on the outer, salt layer of the cherry trees. This layer prevents the trees from blooming early by releasing a hormone that keeps everything on schedule. However, without this layer, the hormone isn’t properly released — hence the recent cherry blossom spottings that have been occurring throughout the month. Generally warmer temperatures in the region haven’t helped the issue either.
However, it should be noted that 350 sitings is by no means an extreme amount. Festivities should continue as normal for the “hanami,” and most cherry blossoms should be in full bloom by springtime.
Featured image by BEHROUZ MEHRI/AFP via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees