This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Have you ever had a meal so divine that you were left wondering what kind of magic was occurring in the kitchen when it was made? At Scully St James’s, a restaurant located near Piccadilly Circus in London, you can ruin the mystery. Every Tuesday, the restaurant brings two people into the kitchen to help prepare and cook. In return for the session, helpers get to enjoy a lunch on the house.
The chef behind it all, Ramael Scully, was born in Malaysia to a Chinese and Indian mother and an Irish and Malay father. He moved to Australia at age 8, and made his way to London in recent years. Without a doubt, Scully pulls influences from across the globe, crafting unparalleled dishes that have been praised by critics. (Before opening the restaurant, Scully served as head chef of the widely adored NOPI restaurant.)
Fiona Duncan of The Telegraph got to experience the inter-workings of Scully’s kitchen with her friend Henrietta, who discovered the opportunity. As an early customer of the restaurant, Henrietta was quick to applaud its culinary work, once even sending her compliments to Chef Scully himself while seated at the bar overlooking the kitchen. To that, he replied, “Come and join us.”
On their designated Tuesday, the two women spent four hours preparing food with chef Ramiro Gasparotto in the storerooms below the restaurant. While preparing meats, vegetables and sauces, the team of three covered the bases of food in conversation, talking about everything from logistics to philosophy. Scully’s philosophy on food? According to Gasparotto, it’s simple: “Tasty.”
Following the day’s work, helpers like Fiona and Henrietta get to indulge in the meals they helped to prepare. Their meal was four courses, including — but nowhere near limited to — puff beef tendons, chargrilled broccoli, forbidden rice, barbecued Galician octopus and beef short rib pastrami. All of that with a side of wine, plus the satisfaction of knowing that you took part in it? Count us in.
H/T: The Telegraph
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that