Cheez-Its, Blue Sweaters and Other Strange Things to Cure Your Flight Anxiety
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The other day, Sarah Blakely, the founder of Spanx, told The Strategist that she eats a lot of Cheez-Its. The kicker? She only does so when she flies, because she suffers from bad flight anxiety — but since she flies a lot, she’s apparently eating a lot of them.
View this post on Instagram
Can’t exactly say we disagree with her logic here, but we are here to remind you that flying is one of the safest modes of transportation.
This got us thinking, though. What are other weird things people swear by to calm their pre-flight jitters? We asked the 43,000+ members of the TPG Lounge and of course, you guys had a few clever things up your sleeves. Some of our favorites: wearing a blue sweater, and high-fiving the fuselage before you board.
Tapping the fuselage proved to be surprisingly popular — a lot of our readers who responded said that it’s their favorite preflight lucky charm. And yes, we know that flying is stastically way safer than driving, but bear with us for a moment here.
We know these can’t be the only weird things out there, though…
Featured image courtesy of Jakob Owens/Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees