Cheez-Its, Blue Sweaters and Other Strange Things to Cure Your Flight Anxiety
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The other day, Sarah Blakely, the founder of Spanx, told The Strategist that she eats a lot of Cheez-Its. The kicker? She only does so when she flies, because she suffers from bad flight anxiety — but since she flies a lot, she’s apparently eating a lot of them.
View this post on Instagram
Can’t exactly say we disagree with her logic here, but we are here to remind you that flying is one of the safest modes of transportation.
This got us thinking, though. What are other weird things people swear by to calm their pre-flight jitters? We asked the 43,000+ members of the TPG Lounge and of course, you guys had a few clever things up your sleeves. Some of our favorites: wearing a blue sweater, and high-fiving the fuselage before you board.
Tapping the fuselage proved to be surprisingly popular — a lot of our readers who responded said that it’s their favorite preflight lucky charm. And yes, we know that flying is stastically way safer than driving, but bear with us for a moment here.
We know these can’t be the only weird things out there, though…
Featured image courtesy of Jakob Owens/Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.