This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Maldives and underwater fun go hand in hand. The tropical island debuted another reason to move this destination to the top of your travel list.
Visitors can now experience the world’s first semi-submerged art gallery in the largest developed coral lagoon in the Maldives. The Sculpture Coralarium opened in July and is located on the island of Fairmont Maldives Sirru Fen Fushi and features artwork by the environmental sculptor Jason deCaires Taylor.
The cube-like stainless steel gallery is nearly 20 feet tall and features around 30 pieces of art, some above water, below, and in between depending on tidal levels. The cube walls are designed after natural coral structures in order to let the tides and marine life pass through. The sculptures represent artificial reefs that can host marine species like corals, sponges, hydroids and algae, which can increase the overall reef biomass. Taylor’s sculptures are individually designed using environmentally safe pH neutral materials with textured surfaces like banyan trees and strangler ivy to create homes, marine breeding areas and protective spaces.
Visitors can access the Coralarium through small guided tours where you can snorkel to see the underwater pieces lead by the resort’s resident marine biologists.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards