Flights to Europe Are the Cheapest They’ve Been in 3 Years
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re itching to get to Europe this spring, we have good news for you. According to the fare prediction app Hopper, flights to Europe are the cheapest they’ve been in three years. On average, prices are 15% cheaper this spring than they were at the same time last year.
Hopper’s data scientists crunched the numbers on its real-time feed of over 25 billion daily flight prices (yes, that’s an awful lot of numbers) and found that prices currently average $637 round-trip, though many travelers will find even cheaper flights. Here at TPG, we regularly monitor airfare deals, and found flights to Paris or Nice for $317 round-trip this spring and flights to either Barcelona or Madrid for as low as $287 round-trip, among other deals.
Hopper also determined that traveling in the spring can score you 20% savings over flights booked for the summer. That comes as no surprise, as summer is high season across Europe, so you can expect airfare to rise accordingly.
Patrick Surry, Hopper’s chief data scientist, attributes the savings in part to Brexit. “Currently, the British pound is trading at around $1.30, which is the lowest level seen since the 1980s. With Brexit set to happen this spring, it’s likely the pound will see a further drop in value, making travel to the UK even more attractive for wallet-savvy travelers from the US.”
Brexit aside, there are plenty of great reasons to travel to Europe this spring. April and May are ideal months to travel to Italy, especially if you want to avoid high-season crowds while enjoying excellent weather. You could see the sights in Rome, hike in the picturesque Cinque Terre (as long as you bring the appropriate footwear) or attend the Venice Biennale.
And April in Paris is famously beautiful, as the temperatures rise and flowers bloom. This year, France’s Loire Valley is celebrating the 500th anniversary of the Renaissance with a series of events at the region’s famous castles, including the Château de Chenonceau, the Château de Chambord and the Château de Blois.
Wherever you want to go in Europe, you’re likely to find nice weather and good deals.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.