Flights to Europe Are the Cheapest They’ve Been in 3 Years
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re itching to get to Europe this spring, we have good news for you. According to the fare prediction app Hopper, flights to Europe are the cheapest they’ve been in three years. On average, prices are 15% cheaper this spring than they were at the same time last year.
Hopper’s data scientists crunched the numbers on its real-time feed of over 25 billion daily flight prices (yes, that’s an awful lot of numbers) and found that prices currently average $637 round-trip, though many travelers will find even cheaper flights. Here at TPG, we regularly monitor airfare deals, and found flights to Paris or Nice for $317 round-trip this spring and flights to either Barcelona or Madrid for as low as $287 round-trip, among other deals.
Hopper also determined that traveling in the spring can score you 20% savings over flights booked for the summer. That comes as no surprise, as summer is high season across Europe, so you can expect airfare to rise accordingly.
Patrick Surry, Hopper’s chief data scientist, attributes the savings in part to Brexit. “Currently, the British pound is trading at around $1.30, which is the lowest level seen since the 1980s. With Brexit set to happen this spring, it’s likely the pound will see a further drop in value, making travel to the UK even more attractive for wallet-savvy travelers from the US.”
Brexit aside, there are plenty of great reasons to travel to Europe this spring. April and May are ideal months to travel to Italy, especially if you want to avoid high-season crowds while enjoying excellent weather. You could see the sights in Rome, hike in the picturesque Cinque Terre (as long as you bring the appropriate footwear) or attend the Venice Biennale.
And April in Paris is famously beautiful, as the temperatures rise and flowers bloom. This year, France’s Loire Valley is celebrating the 500th anniversary of the Renaissance with a series of events at the region’s famous castles, including the Château de Chenonceau, the Château de Chambord and the Château de Blois.
Wherever you want to go in Europe, you’re likely to find nice weather and good deals.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees