Feeling Spontaneous? Book Lufthansa First Awards and More for a Cheap Labor Day Getaway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s the start of Labor Day weekend and everyone’s either headed off to to the beach or planning a long relaxing weekend at home. If you planned to do the latter, well, let’s just say you might reconsider your weekend plans after reading this post — if you have points or miles to burn that is.
Here at TPG we’re always writing about how to get the most value out of your points and miles, which usually takes time planning and calculating. However, last-minute award ticket bookings are actually one of the best ways to maximize them because the cash price is usually insanely high. Take this for example:
You could fly nonstop from New York (EWR) to Amsterdam (AMS) as soon as tonight for 30,000 miles in economy plus $80.60 in fees one-way, and the same deal is available for the return on Monday. That’s a steal considering the same flight is currently being sold for — wait for it — $3,272.
Wanna get even crazier? You can fly Lufthansa First Class from Houston (IAH), New York (JFK) and Washington DC (IAD) to Frankfurt (FRA) on Saturday for 110,000 United miles, 87,000 Lifemiles or 70,000 Aeroplan miles one-way (although you’ll be pay lots in surcharges if you choose Aeroplan). There may be availability on other routes too, since award space usually opens up last minute for the amazing product. These last-minute first class tickets are pricing for more than $10,000 if you use cash.
We’ll be using our miles, thank you very much.
Better yet, you can avoid United’s $75 close-in booking fee, and only pay $5.60 if you have a United Club card. You can also use Avianca LifeMiles to book these Star Alliance flights, since the carrier has a solid award chart and doesn’t charge large fees for last-minute awards. You can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards to United, while Citi ThankYou points, American Express Membership Rewards points and Capital One miles all instantly transfer to Avianca.
Here are some other examples of last-minute award trip booking options:
Charlotte (CLT) to Denver (DEN) for 12,500 United miles one-way in economy:
Dallas (DFW) to Phoenix (PHX) for 12,500 AAdvantage miles one-way in economy (or consider using British Airways Avios):
New York (JFK) to Frankfurt (FRA) for 30,000 United miles one-way in Lufthansa economy or 110,000 United miles in Lufthansa First:
Houston (IAH) to Frankfurt (FRA) for 30,000 United miles one-way in Lufthansa economy or 110,000 United miles in Lufthansa First:
Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LHR) for 30,000 United miles one-way in economy: Chicago (ORD) to Munich (MUC) for 30,000 United miles one-way in economy: If you’re looking for a tropical escape, there’s still availability to fly United on in a lie-flat seat from New York to Hawaii as reported yesterday.
Newark (EWR) to Honolulu (HNL) for 50,000 United miles or 12,500 Turkish Airlines miles one-way in first class:
If this has you ready to hop on a plane, but you don’t see your city listed in the examples, be sure to do a search for yourself on your preferred airline to see if you can snag a good last-minute deal.
- The Best Points and Miles for Last-Minute Flights
- 4 Ways to Save on Last-Minute Award Bookings
- Pooling Points for Last-Minute Awards — Reader Success Story
Featured photo by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.