Here are all the ways you can earn bonus points with Chase cards right now
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Editor’s note: This guide has been updated with the latest information.
As the pandemic rages on in early 2021, travel remains diminished across the U.S. and around the world. Regardless of whether you’re on the move or not, credit card companies are continuing to entice consumers to keep spending.
In 2020, Chase was one of the most proactive issuers to announce temporary card bonuses and benefits as the course of quarantine and pandemic life shifted.
And as we charge into a new year, spending on your credit card can still reap plenty of rewards. Here are all the ways to earn bonus points with Chase cards that we’re paying attention to right now.
To see if you qualify for additional spending bonuses on a Chase card, check and register with this link.
Want more credit card news and travel advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter!
Chase limited-time bonuses, at a glance
|Grocery, gas, drugstores*||5x bonus||
Link to register (targeted)
Valid from Jan. 1, 2021, through March 31, 2021, up to $1,500 in combined purchases.
|General spending||15,000 bonus Avios||
Link to register (targeted)
Earn an additional 15,000 bonus Avios when you spend $5,000 in purchases between Jan. 1, 2021, and March 31, 2021
|General spending||5,000 bonus World of Hyatt points||
Link to register (targeted)
Earn an additional 5,000 bonus World of Hyatt points when you spend $5,000 in purchases between Jan. 1, 2021, and March 31, 2021
|Up to 3x bonus||
No registration necessary
Valid from Nov. 1, 2020 through April 30, 2021, up to $1,000 in monthly grocery purchases
|Internet, cable, phone, utilities, insurance||Up to 5x bonus||Select cards, highly targeted||Link to register (targeted)|
|Lyft||Up to 10x bonus||
Chase Sapphire Reserve (10x)
All other cobranded cards from Chase (5x)
|No registration necessary
Valid through March 2022
(Cobranded Chase cards only have the 5x offer through March 2021)
*List does not include cards no longer open to new applicants. These cards include:
- United Club
- United Mileage Plus
- United Mileage Plus Awards
- United MileagePlus Select
- United Presidential Plus
- Legacy Hyatt card
- IHG Rewards Club Select
Grocery, gas, drugstores: Up to 5x
Many credit cards have been targeted to offer some bonus earnings in the highly-competitive grocery category. Select cobranded Chase cards get the bonus on gas and drugstore purchases, too.
Earlier in the pandemic, it was possible to earn up to 10x points on grocery purchases on select Chase cards (those offers have since come and gone). Still, 5x earnings are nothing to sneeze at.
Chase Sapphire cards grocery offer
In October 2020, Chase launched a brand-new bonus category for extra points on grocery purchases for its Sapphire lineup.
For Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders, you’ll earn 3x Ultimate Rewards points on up to $1,000 in monthly grocery store purchases. Meanwhile, Chase Sapphire Preferred Card cardmembers will earn 2x Ultimate Rewards points on up to $1,000 in monthly grocery store purchases.
This new bonus category started on Nov. 1, 2020, and goes through April 30, 2021.
Chase also announced an extension of categories that trigger the Chase Sapphire Reserve’s $300 credit. You could previously use this annual credit on travel, gas, and groceries through the end of 2020. Now, cardholders will be able to use their annual statement on those purchases through June 30, 2021.
Cobranded Chase cards (targeted)
Many cobranded Chase travel cardholders also will receive an offer of a 5x bonus on grocery, gas, and drugstore spending through March 2021. Unfortunately, there’s a cap of $1,500 across these three categories for the entire three month period. Previously, many of these bonuses had an earning limit on a per month basis.
5x bonus on grocery, gas, drugstores (up to $1,500 from Jan 1 through March 31):
- Aer Lingus Visa Signature Card
- British Airways Visa Signature Card
- Iberia Visa Signature Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
- United Club (no longer open to applicants)
- United Club Infinite Card
- United Explorer Card
- United Mileage Plus (no longer open to applicants)
- United Mileage Plus Awards (no longer open to applicants)
- United MileagePlus Select (no longer open to applicants)
- United Presidential Plus (no longer open to applicants)
Lyft: Up to 10x
Chase’s partnership with Lyft isn’t new, but now all cobranded credit cards from Chase now have access to 5%/5x on Lyft purchases through March 2021. Whether you have a Chase card from Marriott Bonvoy, Southwest Rapid Rewards, IHG, Hyatt, United or any other Chase credit card partner, you should now be able to earn even more on Lyft rides with your card.
This promotion is an extension of the partnership benefits Chase launched earlier in 2020 with Groupon and ShopRunner across most cobranded card products:
- You can enroll in a 12-month free Shoprunner Membership through February 2021
- Get 10% back on all Groupon spending (up to $50 per month in Groupon Bucks) through February 2021
You can learn more about Chase’s partnerships (and how to enroll your card) on Chase’s Get More Now landing page.
Another round of limited-time bonuses have arrived for select Chase cardholders — it is certainly worth a few seconds of your time to check your eligibility and to register.
If your travel card isn’t being fully utilized right now, that doesn’t mean it’s completely useless. By earning extra bonus points on these cards now — especially for everyday purchases — you’ll be well equipped for travel when the time comes.
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 5 points per $1 spent on Southwest purchases between 12/1/2020 and 3/31/2021 on up to $2,000 spent per month, 2 points on all other Southwest purchases and 1 point per $1 on all other purchases. This card also comes with an annual $75 travel credit.
- Earn up to 80,000 points. Earn 50,000 points after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. Earn an additional 30,000 points after you spend $10,000 on purchases in the first 9 months.
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases. Earn between 12/1/2020 and 3/31/2021 on up to $2,000 spent per month.
- 7,500 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary each year.
- $75 Southwest® travel credit each year.
- 4 Upgraded Boardings per year when available.
- 20% back on in-flight drinks and WiFi.
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on all other Southwest® purchases.
- 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.