New Chase Aeroplan cardholders can earn up to 19 points per dollar this summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you have the Aeroplan Credit Card from Chase, it just became the best credit card to use for your spending outside the U.S. this summer. On top of the card’s already strong benefits, the earning rate just got a significant boost.
Cardmembers can earn 10 points per dollar on international purchases through Sep. 30, 2022.
And if you’re a new cardmember, the offer is even sweeter, because it’ll stack with the current sign-up bonus. This means that you have the opportunity to earn up to 19 points per dollar spent this summer.
However, there is a limit to the number of points you can earn, so let’s look at the details.
Get the latest points, miles, and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Increased earning rate on the Aeroplan Card
Typically, cardholders earn as follows:
- 3 Aeroplan points per dollar at grocery stores, restaurants and on purchases made directly with Air Canada.
- 1 point per dollar on all other purchases.
- For every $2,000 you spend on the card each month, you also can receive up to a 500-point bonus — up to 1,500 points per month and an annual maximum of 18,000 bonus points.
From July 1 to Sep. 30, 2022, however, the earning rate will jump to 10 points per dollar on international purchases (up to the first $1,500 in combined spending, after which your standard earning rates will apply).
In addition, no registration is required, so you can start using this bonus immediately.
TPG values Aeroplan points at 1.5 cents each. Thus, you’ll earn 15 cents worth of points for every dollar you spend outside the U.S. with this elevated earning rate. This is the best rate of return for your international transactions this summer.
Other cardmember perks
Aside from the elevated earning rate for the next few months, the Aeroplan Card offers a quality package of perks to cardholders. These include:
- Free first checked bag on Air Canada flights (for primary cardmember and up to eight people on the same itinerary).
- Automatic Aeroplan 25K Elite Status for the remainder of the calendar year in which you open the account, plus the following calendar year. This status offers perks like priority service at the airport and upgrades on Air Canada-operated flights.
- $100 credit toward Global Entry, TSA Precheck or Nexus every four years.
- Priority check-in, security and boarding.
- Two, one-time passes to Air Canada’s Maple Leaf Lounges.
- 20 eUpgrade credits to upgrade from economy to premium cabins on Air Canada-operated flights.
- Automatic Star Alliance Silver elite status, with access to priority wait-listing and standby.
- Travel protections such as trip cancellation and interruption insurance, baggage delay insurance, trip delay reimbursement, auto rental insurance and roadside assistance.
- World Elite Mastercard benefits, including 24/7 concierge service, access to Mastercard Priceless® experiences, everyday discounts and offers and more.
- No foreign transaction fees.
The card has a $95 annual fee.
If you’re interested in retaining your status or even attaining a higher elite status level with Aeroplan, you can do so with heavy spending on your Aeroplan Card.
After the introductory period, you can retain (or extend) your 25K Elite Status by spending $15,000 on the card in a calendar year. If you spend $50,000 on your card in a calendar year, cardholders can earn a one-level status boost to 35K elite status (or beyond). This could be a great option for high spenders who already earn elite status based on flying, as hitting the $50k threshold could essentially upgrade you to a higher tier.
Current welcome offer
If you’re interested in taking advantage of the elevated earning rates but don’t have the Aeroplan Credit Card, now could be a great time to apply. The current sign-up bonus offers a Welcome Flight Reward worth up to 50,000 points after you spend $3,000 in your first three months from account opening. You can also earn up to 51,000 bonus points by earning 10 points per dollar spent on travel and dining in your first six months of account membership.
That means your total welcome offer can be worth up to 101,000 points.
However, an Air Canada representative has confirmed that this limited-time earning rate will stack with the travel and dining bonus for new cardholders — though you won’t be able to earn base points twice. For example:
- Travel purchases outside the U.S. would earn 1 base point per dollar, an additional 9 points per dollar from the welcome offer plus another 9 points per dollar from the international transaction offer — for a total of 19 points per dollar spent.
- Dining purchases outside the U.S. would earn 3 base points per dollar, an additional 7 points per dollar from the welcome offer plus the additional 9 points per dollar from the international transaction offer — for a total of 17 points per dollar spent.
Again, note that the international transaction bonus is only valid on up to $1,500 in combined purchases between now and Sept. 30, 2022.
Through Sep. 30, 2022, you can use the Aeroplan card to get 10 points per dollar on international transactions. No other card is offering this rate of return for spending outside the U.S., so this should be your go-to card for international purchases until you reach the $1,500 spending cap.
And if you’re a new cardholder, you’re eligible for an even higher rate on select purchases.
If you don’t have the Aeroplan Credit Card, picking it up before you head out of the country could be a great idea, as the enhanced return rate on purchases is a fantastic earning opportunity.
Featured photo by cuellar/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
This card offers a 80,000-point bonus after spending $4,000 in the first three months. Plus, earn 3 ThankYou points per $1 at gas stations, restaurants, supermarkets and on air travel and hotels. 1 ThankYou point per $1 on all other purchases.
- For a limited time, earn 80,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 3 Points per $1 spent at Restaurants and Supermarkets
- Earn 3 Points per $1 spent at Gas Stations, Air Travel and Hotels
- Earn 1 Point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Annual Hotel Savings Benefit
- 80,000 Points are redeemable for $800 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases