Cautionary Tale: Don’t Put an Engagement Ring in Checked Luggage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Proposal pro tip: Don’t let the ring out of your sight. So definitely don’t check it.
Unfortunately, one man flying on WOW Air missed the memo.
He had to push back his proposal after the airline lost the luggage containing possibly the most vital part of an engagement after love: the ring.
Ben Adams and his (spoiler) now-fiancé Elizabeth Kahle left Europe and landed in Iceland where they were supposed to catch a flight to Dallas (DFW), but their flight was re-routed. Instead, they flew to New York (JFK), where they were finally able to hop on a flight to Dallas (DFW) to visit family. Talk about trip segments.
Unfortunately, it’s not a big surprise that, with the three segments, one of the pair’s luggage was lost. But this misplacement was more stressful than most other lost luggage scenarios. The suitcase contained the ring Adams planned to propose to his then-girlfriend with shortly after arriving in Dallas.
The two work for Norwegian Cruise Line, and they’re constantly at sea, so Ben wanted to pop the question before going back to work. In hopes of getting WOW Air’s attention to find the bag, Ben was forced to reveal to Elizabeth that the engagement ring was in the lost bag in an interview with WFAA. After tedious contact with the airlines and some publicity, things started to look up for the couple.
WOW finally found the luggage in Boston, which is confusing because, of the four destinations the couple did travel to, Boston was not one of them. The airline swiftly sent the luggage to the couple.
Ben was finally able to get on one knee on Wednesday, and now the two are happily, officially engaged.
TPG is so glad that things turned out okay for the couple, but we wouldn’t recommend for couples to put such a valuable item in checked luggage, even though we wish we could put more trust in baggage claim.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees