Cathay Pacific’s Revamping Long-Haul Service, Dining Options
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Planning to fly Cathay Pacific business class to Hong Kong (HKG)? There’s a chance you may get to experience the carrier’s new dining choices and service tweaks.
On Monday, CX shared plans to overhaul several components of its premium-cabin service. The biggest shift will focus on a new a-la-carte menu, with up to three appetizer and six main-course options per flight. Meals will be hand delivered by crew members, rather than via the carts and trolleys used today, as I experienced on a recent flight from Newark (EWR).
There will also be an “express” meal option, along with “Room Service Breakfast” — passengers will be able to check breakfast options on a form. Late flights will also have a quick “Supper Service,” with low lighting in the cabin intended to avoid disturbing passengers who would rather sleep than eat.
In addition, flight attendants will be assigned to specific passengers, which the airline hopes will give the in-flight service a more personalized feel.
Cathay Pacific conducted trials in mid-2017, but now plans to offer the new service and meal offerings on all long-haul routes by the middle of 2019, rolling out as follows:
- July 2018 — Chicago (ORD)
- August 2018 — London (LGW)
- September 2018 — Frankfurt (FRA), Manchester (MAN), Washington, DC (IAD)
- October 2018 — Amsterdam (AMS), Johannesburg (JNB), Paris (CDG)
- November 2018 — Barcelona (BCN), Brussels (BRU), Madrid (MAD)
- December 2018 — London (LHR)
- January 2019 — Boston (BOS), Newark (EWR)
- February 2019 — Auckland (AKL), Dublin (DUB), Milan (MXP), Rome (FCO), Sydney (SYD)
- March 2019 — Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), Tel Aviv (TLV)
- April 2019 — New York (JFK), Toronto (YYZ), Vancouver (YVR)
- May 2019 — Adelaide (ADL), Brisbane (BNE), Cairns (CNS), Melbourne (MEL), Perth (PER)
- June 2019 — Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DXB), Male (MLE), Zurich (ZRH)
While it’s likely that expanded entree options will make their way to the first-class cabin as well, we’ve reached out to CX to confirm. (Update: No changes to first class.)
With just six seats in total, I imagine first-class passengers already receive a level of service that’s more attentive than what business-class customers will experience following the airline’s upcoming refresh. Still, this sounds like a notable improvement to one of the world’s top business-class options to Asia.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.