Cathay Pacific Boeing 777 Shreds Wing After Hitting Pole in Rome
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Cathay Pacific Boeing 777 smashed into a light pole while it was being towed to its gate at Fiumicino Airport (FCO) in Rome on Wednesday. Pictures of the incident show the wingtip wrapped around a pole that was near the aircraft tow path. Fortunately, no passengers were on board.
“Cathay Pacific Flight CX292 which was scheduled to depart from Rome at 13.05 local time was involved in a towing incident in which one of its wing tips struck a standing pole,” a spokesperson for the airline told TPG. “The incident occurred when the Boeing 777-300ER aircraft was being towed by a truck operated by a local ground handling agent at the airport.”
According to flight tracking site FlightAware, CX292 is the airline’s service from FCO to Hong Kong (HKG). FlightAware shows that the flight was indeed cancelled on Wednesday. There were no passengers onboard because the 777 was being towed before the flight.
A source at CX told the South China Morning Post, the main daily paper in Hong Kong, that the plane would likely “be grounded for a good while” for repairs. The 777 is clearly not in a flyable condition, so repairs will have to be done on the spot. Boeing maintains a dedicated team of emergency mechanics known as the AOG team — from “Aircraft on Ground” — ready to fly all over the world at a moment’s notice for just this sort of incident.
The airline said it is “actively arranging alternatives for passengers to travel to their final destinations.”
A similar situation occurred last week when a Royal Air Maroc Dreamliner ripped through the tail of a Turkish Airlines 777 as it was taxiing at Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport (IST). Luckily there were no injuries in that incident.
The wording of this story has been edited to clarify that there were no passengers on board.
Featured image by Frogman1484/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees