Why You Need to Add This Cat Sanctuary in an Archeological Site to Your Bucket List
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the heart of Rome, just a few blocks from the Pantheon and Piazza Navona sits a historic site many tourists overlook. Largo di Torre Argentina — a busy square where lots of buses stop — doesn’t make it into many guidebooks. But it’s actually one of the city’s most significant sites.
History buffs will know it as the site where Julius Caesar was murdered on March 15, 44 BC — the Ides of March. He was stabbed 22 times outside the Theater of Pompey, which sits between two of the four temples in the square. Lying about 20 feet below street level, the archeological site has been off-limits for years: Except to a colony of stray cats.
The Torre Argentina Cat Sanctuary opened in 1993 and a team of volunteers cares for them. They take in stray cats from Rome and the surrounding towns, and spay, neuter and vaccinate them. Last year, they spayed and neutered 6,174 cats and found new homes for 117 of them.
There are currently 130 cats at the sanctuary just waiting to be taken home. Some are blind or have other disabilities. One scrawny black cat, for example, only has three legs. Nowadays, the cats are the only living beings that can access the sacred area where ancient Roman temples once stood.
Earlier this year, Rome’s mayor Virginia Raggi announced that fashion house Bulgari will renovate the ancient site and open it up to tourists by the end of 2021. “Rome is always the main source of inspiration for Bulgari,” Jean-Christophe Babin, the CEO of Bulgari, told Condé Nast Traveler. “This site has an extraordinary value because it’s the oldest open-air spot in Rome.”
The brand has pledged over $1.1 million to the project, about half of which was leftover from the 2016 renovation of the Spanish Steps. Not to fear, the cats and their sanctuary will be safe and unaffected by the restoration project.
The sanctuary is open 365 days a year from 12pm until 6pm and free to visit.
Featured photo by Laura Itzkowitz
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees