Carnival Cruise’s Search for a Teen Boy and His Snapchat Handle
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fifteen-year-old Darian Lipscomb of Prospect, Virginia, was surprised Tuesday night when he answered his door to find his name on the side of a truck next to a picture of Carnival Cruise’s “Chief Fun Officer,” Shaquille O’Neal.
Carnival Cruise Line traveled to Virginia in search of Darian whose Snapchat handle is @CarnivalCruise. To find Darian, though, the cruise liner put signs all over his hometown that read, “Hey Prospect, does anyone know Darian?” The signs also included a picture of Captain Shaq.
“When I was 9 years old, I went on a cruise and got really excited and wanted to share it with my friends,” Darian told the Richmond Times-Dispatch. He created the Snapchat handle during his trip in 2012 and used it to share his experiences onboard. Since then, Darian has been on three more Carnival cruises and has become a “superfan” of Carnival.
In exchange for his Snapchat handle, Carnival offered Darian and his family a free trip aboard its newest ship, Horizon. He accepted the offer, and on March 31, Darian will be hitting the high seas for the ship’s maiden voyage out of Barcelona. The net worth of the trip is $5,000 plus flights, hotels and other surprises for Darian and his family.
“We thought this would be a fun way to claim our handle and reward a ‘superfan’ at the same time,” Robyn Fink, a spokesperson for Carnival Cruise Line, told Richmond Times-Dispatch. Fink said the trip will be a “once in a lifetime” experience.
The ship will set sail for a 14-day transatlantic crossing to New York. Stops include Malaga, Spain, Lisbon, Portugal, and Halifax, Nova Scotia. Once it docks in New York, the ship will set sail for trips to the Caribbean.
As far as Darian’s new Snapchat handle, he said he would have to brainstorm a new one.
“Maybe another company name,” he joked.
Featured image courtesy of Carnival.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees