Carnival Cruise’s Search for a Teen Boy and His Snapchat Handle
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fifteen-year-old Darian Lipscomb of Prospect, Virginia, was surprised Tuesday night when he answered his door to find his name on the side of a truck next to a picture of Carnival Cruise’s “Chief Fun Officer,” Shaquille O’Neal.
Carnival Cruise Line traveled to Virginia in search of Darian whose Snapchat handle is @CarnivalCruise. To find Darian, though, the cruise liner put signs all over his hometown that read, “Hey Prospect, does anyone know Darian?” The signs also included a picture of Captain Shaq.
“When I was 9 years old, I went on a cruise and got really excited and wanted to share it with my friends,” Darian told the Richmond Times-Dispatch. He created the Snapchat handle during his trip in 2012 and used it to share his experiences onboard. Since then, Darian has been on three more Carnival cruises and has become a “superfan” of Carnival.
In exchange for his Snapchat handle, Carnival offered Darian and his family a free trip aboard its newest ship, Horizon. He accepted the offer, and on March 31, Darian will be hitting the high seas for the ship’s maiden voyage out of Barcelona. The net worth of the trip is $5,000 plus flights, hotels and other surprises for Darian and his family.
“We thought this would be a fun way to claim our handle and reward a ‘superfan’ at the same time,” Robyn Fink, a spokesperson for Carnival Cruise Line, told Richmond Times-Dispatch. Fink said the trip will be a “once in a lifetime” experience.
The ship will set sail for a 14-day transatlantic crossing to New York. Stops include Malaga, Spain, Lisbon, Portugal, and Halifax, Nova Scotia. Once it docks in New York, the ship will set sail for trips to the Caribbean.
As far as Darian’s new Snapchat handle, he said he would have to brainstorm a new one.
“Maybe another company name,” he joked.
Featured image courtesy of Carnival.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.