Carnival Cruise’s Search for a Teen Boy and His Snapchat Handle
Fifteen-year-old Darian Lipscomb of Prospect, Virginia, was surprised Tuesday night when he answered his door to find his name on the side of a truck next to a picture of Carnival Cruise’s “Chief Fun Officer,” Shaquille O’Neal.
Carnival Cruise Line traveled to Virginia in search of Darian whose Snapchat handle is @CarnivalCruise. To find Darian, though, the cruise liner put signs all over his hometown that read, “Hey Prospect, does anyone know Darian?” The signs also included a picture of Captain Shaq.
“When I was 9 years old, I went on a cruise and got really excited and wanted to share it with my friends,” Darian told the Richmond Times-Dispatch. He created the Snapchat handle during his trip in 2012 and used it to share his experiences onboard. Since then, Darian has been on three more Carnival cruises and has become a “superfan” of Carnival.
In exchange for his Snapchat handle, Carnival offered Darian and his family a free trip aboard its newest ship, Horizon. He accepted the offer, and on March 31, Darian will be hitting the high seas for the ship’s maiden voyage out of Barcelona. The net worth of the trip is $5,000 plus flights, hotels and other surprises for Darian and his family.
“We thought this would be a fun way to claim our handle and reward a ‘superfan’ at the same time,” Robyn Fink, a spokesperson for Carnival Cruise Line, told Richmond Times-Dispatch. Fink said the trip will be a “once in a lifetime” experience.
The ship will set sail for a 14-day transatlantic crossing to New York. Stops include Malaga, Spain, Lisbon, Portugal, and Halifax, Nova Scotia. Once it docks in New York, the ship will set sail for trips to the Caribbean.
As far as Darian’s new Snapchat handle, he said he would have to brainstorm a new one.
“Maybe another company name,” he joked.
Featured image courtesy of Carnival.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees