Carnival Cruise Ship Tilts Abruptly Causing Passengers to Panic
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Carnival Cruise ship listed abruptly Sunday evening and left passengers in a panic.
Although it was a dramatic and chaotic experience for many on board, the cruise line confirmed in a statement that the tilting lasted approximately one minute, and the officers quickly resolved the situation. The ship had experienced a technical issue a few hours after leaving Port Canaveral in Florida, which caused it to lean violently to one side.
“Plates and silverware started sliding off the tables. Then the tables themselves started to slide. Glasses and plates started to fall and shatter. At this point, it was pure chaos. Screams. Cries. Panic,” one passenger explained to News6.
@CarnivalCruise get me off this ship Carnival Sunshine. We just listed so bad that I am not comfortable being in this shop anymore. Water ran out if the pools glasses shattered in my room and drink spilled in my suitcase!
— Connie Calvert (@concal) October 29, 2018
Carnival gave all passengers on board the Carnival Sunshine a letter of apology and offered them a $50 ship credit to be used for an onboard purchase. In the letter, Carnival says an electrical switchboard malfunction led to a problem with the ship’s fin stabilizers. The company stressed no passengers were ever in danger. “It’s important to note that fin stabilizers are not a safety feature;” the company said in the letter. “They are deployed solely for guest comfort and to minimize any potential ship motion while at sea. There was never an issue with the safe operation of the ship.”
— Clay LePard (@ClayLePardNews6) October 31, 2018
Some passengers were thankful the ship’s crew responded so quickly and were able to enjoy the rest of their trip.
Just got off my 18th Cruise! People need to calm down…Captain Lorenzo did a fabulous job keeping us safe during our momentary 10 degree list. It was a little scary but over in 20 seconds. The rest of the week was awesome!!! @CarnivalCruise #carnivalsunshine
— Laura Millspaugh (@LauraMillspaugh) November 2, 2018
The Carnival Sunshine ship continued onto its Caribbean ports of call as scheduled and will depart on its next cruise as planned Friday afternoon.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees