Carnival Cruise Ship Tilts Abruptly Causing Passengers to Panic
A Carnival Cruise ship listed abruptly Sunday evening and left passengers in a panic.
Although it was a dramatic and chaotic experience for many on board, the cruise line confirmed in a statement that the tilting lasted approximately one minute, and the officers quickly resolved the situation. The ship had experienced a technical issue a few hours after leaving Port Canaveral in Florida, which caused it to lean violently to one side.
“Plates and silverware started sliding off the tables. Then the tables themselves started to slide. Glasses and plates started to fall and shatter. At this point, it was pure chaos. Screams. Cries. Panic,” one passenger explained to News6.
@CarnivalCruise get me off this ship Carnival Sunshine. We just listed so bad that I am not comfortable being in this shop anymore. Water ran out if the pools glasses shattered in my room and drink spilled in my suitcase!
— Connie Calvert (@concal) October 29, 2018
Carnival gave all passengers on board the Carnival Sunshine a letter of apology and offered them a $50 ship credit to be used for an onboard purchase. In the letter, Carnival says an electrical switchboard malfunction led to a problem with the ship’s fin stabilizers. The company stressed no passengers were ever in danger. “It’s important to note that fin stabilizers are not a safety feature;” the company said in the letter. “They are deployed solely for guest comfort and to minimize any potential ship motion while at sea. There was never an issue with the safe operation of the ship.”
— Clay LePard (@ClayLePardNews6) October 31, 2018
Some passengers were thankful the ship’s crew responded so quickly and were able to enjoy the rest of their trip.
Just got off my 18th Cruise! People need to calm down…Captain Lorenzo did a fabulous job keeping us safe during our momentary 10 degree list. It was a little scary but over in 20 seconds. The rest of the week was awesome!!! @CarnivalCruise #carnivalsunshine
— Laura Millspaugh (@LauraMillspaugh) November 2, 2018
The Carnival Sunshine ship continued onto its Caribbean ports of call as scheduled and will depart on its next cruise as planned Friday afternoon.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.